- 35 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 6 Ingredients
A Treat for the Kids
- 12 Small Granny Smith Apples
- 4 Cups Caster Sugar
- 1 tpsn white vinegar
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 tsp Red food colouring
- Paddle pop sticks
- Wash and dry the apples and shove in paddle pop sticks into the middle of each apple. Make sure the paddle pop stick is wedged in securely.
- Combine the 4 cups sugar, 1 tsp vinegar and 1 cup of water in a small heavy based pot and bring to the boil
- Stir in the food colouring and leave the syrup to simmer for about 20mins until temperature reaches 150C or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water reaches crack stage – it should set hard and be hard to crack with fingers.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stand in a baking dish of water until the mixture stops bubbling. When the mixture has stopped boiling, hold an apple by its stick, dip into the syrup, tilt the pan (and the apple) till the whole apple is covered.
- Place toffee coated apples on baking paper and leave to harden.