- Makes 6
- 90 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 11 Ingredients
With my heritage being Tasmanian, I was looking for a tomato relish recipe that reminded me of when I was a child. I found this one on the ABC Tasmania website a couple of years ago and now use it all the time.
Ingredients (makes 6 Medium jars)
- 2 kg Tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples - peeled cored and chopped
- 500 grams Onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons Salt
- 1tablespoon Mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon Curry powder
- 500 grams Sugar
- 3 cups White or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Cornflour
- 1/2 cup Vinegar extra
- Place the tomatoes, apples, onions, garlic, salt, mustard powder, curry powder, sugar and vinegar into a large pot.
- Bring to the boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved then continue to cook for one and a quarter hours.
- Mix the cornflour with the extra vinegar add to the mixture and stir until thickened.
- Pour into sterilised jars and seal immediately.
If you prefer peeling your tomatoes simply cut cross slits into the bottom of them and pour boiling water over them, leave for about 30 seconds then run cold water over them, the skins should then peel away very easily.