A delicious crunchy slice with the goodness of an old time favourite breakfast biscuit. Relive your childhood …and let the children enjoy the yummy things in life.
Please enjoy this nostalgic slice …it’s very nice.
Ingredients (serves 20)
- 5 Weet-Bix crushed(gluten free was used here but ordinary is fine as well)
- 11/2 cups white flour(gluten free, ordinary, spelt or wholemeal the choice is yours)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 5 tbsp drinking chocolate/hot chocolate
- 3/4 cup desicated coconut
- 1 tbsp golden syrup(once again I used golden syrup but rice malt syrup, maple syrup, or honey can be used and once again the choice is yours)
- 200g butter(yes again I used butter but margarine or an alternative is fine)
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Extra coconut for sprinkling
- 8 squares of sugar free chocolate,melted
- 1 dessert sp nutella(or alternative chocolate spread)
- 50 g butter, melted
- Note: I will include a basic chocolate icing for those who do not want the above
- Alternative to the above :
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tbsp butter/margarine
- boiling water
- Combine Weet-Bix, flour,baking powder, drinking chocolate and coconut in a mixing bowl.
- Place golden syrup and butter into a microwave safe container and melt.
- Add vanilla essence and stir.
- Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients and mix together well.
- Press into a 20cm x 30cm lined baking tray.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 180C, for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- To make the topping:
- Melt sugar free chocolate, nutella and butter in the microwave.
- Spread over slice and sprinkle with coconut.
- Alternative icing:
- Combine icing sugar, cocoa and butter in a bowl. Gradually add boiling water mixing until desired thickness is reached.
- Spread icing over slice.
- Makes 20 slices.