Without a DVD player or iPad sometimes car trips with the kids feel a little stressful, though we’ve come up with a few ways to make it that little bit easier on parents!
There is ALWAYS something you can do, here are 6 little ideas you can try out with your kids!
Are your family’s hands as clean as they could be? Read the DETTOL Liquid Hand Wash reviews here
- Music – If you’re anything like me gone are the days of singing along to your own music in the car! You will probably get your kids sitting still a little longer if you play their favourite Wiggles or Hi-5 music (Or One Direction as they get older!) and let them sing along in the car. Of course if you can encourage them to dance along to some of your favourite songs at home, you can play them in the car and it’ll be more fun for you.
- Books – A great little tip is to always have a stash of books for the kids to look at (bear in mind this only works if the kids don’t get car sick!). Audio books can also be fun and kids LOVE listening to stories.
- Toys – Here is a great one, have some ‘car’ toys that you rotate and only play with in the car so they are exciting and new each time they get in. If you’re going on a long road trip, pop something new and SPECIAL in their seats so that the excitement starts from the moment they get in.
- Games – The always classic eye spy and scavenger hunt games work well with little ones, but with older kids there are some great travel board games that you can buy. Another great game for kids of all ages which is a bit of fun is to make up names from the numberplates you spot – Mum assigns a numberplate to a family member and that family member has to come up with the funniest name they can think of!
- Food – Food can entertain kids for ages! Make sure you pack lots of it and don’t worry about the mess, if it gives you half an hours peace, it’s totally worth the clean up.
- Drawing – Most kids love drawing and a clipboard is super easy to set up with paper – I recommend pencils or crayons only so you don’t get any unwanted drawing on the car! Magnetic drawing boards are another great idea for younger kids as they love drawing and wiping it clean.
Do you have any tips that work for you? SHARE with us in the comments below.
Main image courtesy of Shutterstock.comWe may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.