Shannon Ponton – Personal trainer and fitness guru on Biggest Loser, is also a down to earth dad of two – Max and Milla.

Shannon recently shared a nasty experience that his five year old son endured whilst on holidays in Bali.  He shared his story to prevent other parents making the same mistake and kids suffering the same thing his son Max did.

But of course the triple P “perfect parent police” are once again out in force attacking those parents that dare to share an innocent mistake.

He shared the below image on his FB page along with the warning, “When your son begs you for a henna tattoo in Bali!!

I’d heard the horror stories but dismissed them as urban myths. Here’s Max’s blistered and burned arm 5 days after application.   The answer will forever be NO!”

And let the judgement begin…. His post has attracted nearly 2000 reactions and over 650 comments.

Comments include –

– “Dickhead”

– “Stupid!”

– “You get what you get if you are silly enough to get stuff like this in Bali.”

– “Sorry Shannon, but as a highly intelligent business man and a dad, you really should have known better.”

– “Modern parents need to remember they are parents with children, not showpieces, and learn that saying ‘no’ and sticking to it despite childish protests is the ‘right thing to do'”

– “Most definitely NO. BUT it is a good thing to show what can happen if you did decide to have something done.”

– “Why anyone would want to disfigure themselves is beyond me, the answer should always be NO.”

– “Oohh geez parent fail. This is so bad poor lil kid, hope this won’t scar?! Good warning to all.. Let your kids get sad they can’t get henna!!”

Meanwhile some kind followers did defend Shannan saying,

– “I think Shannan Ponton has been incredibly brave to post this. He would have to have known he was going to have people say he was a bad parent for letting his son get the tattoo but yet he still posted to be a warning to others.

– “Who doesnt want to make their kids happy and I’m sure he thought there was no risk. Obviously in hindsight saying yes was a mistake and I’m sure Shannan is furious with himself for it. He doesn’t need criticism on here.”

– “No you haven’t let him down and don’t feel bad. You are a good parent. We all make mistakes everyone of us. I’m sure other parents will feel better coz they have done the same.”

– “Don’t beat yourself up mate. Hindsight is a marvellous thing but I have yet to meet anyone with it. You weren’t to know the aftermath. You just wanted to make your boy happy. I would have done the same.”

– “Omg all you perfect parents out there he would be feeling bad enough already. I’m so sorry this has happened to your boy Shannan don’t feel bad for trying to do something nice for your boy. We have all made mistakes in our life even these “Perfect” parents. Lots of cuddles for your boy.”

Why do people always have to show their true colours behind a computer screen? Helpful advice is always welcome, but what do the snide remarks achieve?

Share your comments below.

Image via Facebook

We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • Scary. Never knew henna could do such a thing to skin as I thought it was all made of natural ingredients?!
    Good to know if I ever go to Bali not to let my kids get anything done.


  • people seem to forget that they are talking to a real person and i bet that they wouldn’t be so quick to mouth off in person


  • There is a possibility that these tattoos are not only done in Bali.
    Maybe the method of application may be an issue for some, especially if you have sensitive skin. What about people who have their hair dyed? Are some of the products used in them henna? Some Hairdressing Salons do a skin patch test to find out if you are allergic to it before using it on your hair.


  • It would have been a hard thing for Shannon to share but he did this to let people know this can happen to anyone. He doesn’t need us to blame him. We need to congratulate him on being willing to share this. All I ask is please let us know how Max is going.


  • It’s easy these days for pathetic people to hide behind their computer screens and type any vitriol they like. Good on Shannon for raising public awareness of an accident that happened so that others can be more aware if they find themselves in Bali.


  • Excellent post that Shannon made to create awareness for other parents. I really think people should look at all angles before flying off the handle like what happened with the abuse Shannon received online. People are so quick to arrive at a conclusion on social media; it seems to offer some sort of safety blanket to say uncharitable things that they wouldn’t say without sitting behind a screen as a reasonably anonymous individual.


  • Whoa, what a flood of responses. I know many people who’ve had henna tattoos in Indonesia. Only last year, most of our group did – many of them children. Not as young as Shannon’s, but the youngest was 10. It’s not my thing, or my family’s thing but… isn’t the warning worth sharing? So that families might reconsider this when they’re child is insisting on a henna tatto? I’ve never seen this reaction, but it would certainly make me think twice, and not get it done. A community service, I say.


  • He did the right thing to post it to warn other parents of the danger.


  • these things happen, yes he could have stood his ground and said no, but who would have thought that this would happen, I certainly wouldn’t have thought that henna paint would burn and blister!

    Thanks for sharing his story though so we can all be aware of the potential dangers of henna!


  • Thanks for sharing your post Shannon, sorry to hear your boy got hurt !
    Don’t let your joy and peace be robbed by the negative comments of other people, ignore them ! Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit.


  • Shannan’s not wrong – all those vicious PPP’s are. Hate social media for that very reason – here is a warning being given by a responsible person and he gets berated for it, instead being given a thank you. Henna is not supposed to have this reaction.


  • Good on him for posting. As you say the perfect parents out there who’ve never made a mistake. I would have probably given in also as it was Henna.


  • Some **** people….. thanks Shannon for sharing your little boys story so that others may learn & know before they decide on getting one. I hope he’s ok now!


  • it’s a henna tattoo, it washes off after some time. Why on earth did it burn like this? Shannon did nothing wrong.

    • its not Shannon’s fault this had happen it can happen to any parent so why on earth start cyber bulling him his done the right thing to put a warning up other parents would not have dared an yes this can happen with henna tattoo depends on the ingredients they put in it an honestly it can also happen to spray on tattoos an temporary tattoos Shannon’s son may have had an allergic reaction to the henna tattoo my eldest son usually has a reaction to spray on tattoos which they want from markets etc
      seriously you people call your self parents wake up what if it was your child that it happen to an u wanted to warn others an u got cyber bullied use are all adults grow up ur not a child…..
      and Shannon thanks for sharing your sons story you did nothing wrong how were you to know your son would react bad to it hope his better :) :)


  • Yeah, he made a Mistake, but not one worthy of trolling him over.


Post a comment
Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by your browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating