Pregnant mum rushed in for emergency caesarean after food poisoning from local bakery.

Ashley Buchanan was forced to undergo an emergency caesarean after eating from a Southern Sydney bakery linked to a salmonella breakout.

She ate a hot chicken roll at the Box Village Bakery in Sylvania on Sunday after a birthing class with her husband.

The couple were both admitted to hospital with severe food poisoning by Sunday night, 9news reports.

“The infection was so severe and I was so sick,” she told 2UE Breakfast hosts, John Stanley and Garry Linnel.

By Tuesday, her condition was so bad that doctors had to perform an emergency C-section, despite Ashley only being 35 weeks pregnant.

“For your first child – or any child – you don’t expect for it to pan out like that. We were just so lucky that the doctors got this in time,” she said.

“It was all quite frightening because my blood pressure went right down and they had to rush me to ICU straight after delivery.”

She was unable to see Ava for the first 24 hours after her birth because she was in ICU.

While her husband has left hospital, Ashley and her daughter remain in recovery. She told the radio hosts that she hopes pregnant women take her story as a warning to be careful when it comes to food.

“I’m devastated I ate it. I’ve been so careful with everything I’ve eaten my whole pregnancy and I opted for the hot chicken roll. I saw that the chicken was in a hot pan and it was steaming I thought, you know, ‘it should be right.’”

The couple’s daughter, Ava, is healthy and well.

What a scary situation to go through. We are so glad everyone is now healthy.

Share your comments below.

Image stock photo

We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • I hope the bakery are being held accountable. The situation could have ended much worse. I’m glad to read all are well and baby safely delivered


  • Thank gosh that they are all ok now.

    Unfortunately they were in this horrible situation at no fault of their own. We trust food vendors to do the right thing when it comes to food safety. Shame that we have situations where that trust is broken.


  • shocking, glad all are ok


  • yeah that would have been absolutely scary! glad that they are all fine. poor lady! she would have been afraid for her baby!


  • How very scary!! Glad to hear they are all ok. You have to be so careful with anything you eat when you’re pregnant.


  • Lke nj


  • Very easy to comment in hindsight. This poor mom thought the food was ok, my prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery and much happiness and good health to them all from now on.


  • What a horrible thing to go through for this young mum. I’m glad the family is okay.


  • This would have been a dreadful situation to be in. I’m so pleased mum and bub are ok now, and I hope more pregnant women listen to her story and heed her warning.


  • Glad mum and bub are well – a very scary experience. Food can be dangerous when due care is not taken with preparing it and keeping it in safe conditions.


  • Any food just sitting for a long period of time even in a warmer is not good. It gives the bacteria a chance to grow and multiply.


  • No matter how careful we are, thus kind of thing can happy – so very stressful for them. So glad to read little Ava is healthy.


  • Absolutely awful – I remember refusing to eat chicken from takeaway type stores hen I was pregnant, because of the risks.


  • How terrible. I’m so glad they are ok


  • That would have been a very scary situation. Hope all are recovering well.


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by your browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating