People are outraged over last nights challenge that saw Shane Crawford risk his life numerous times.

If you are a fan of “I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here” you would have watched the challenge last night were Shane Crawford had to hold his breath and dive for stars to feed the camp.

Facebook page “Shallow Water Blackout Prevention Australia” who raise awareness of the dangers of shallow water blackout due to long or continuous breath holding in water, shared a post to warn the public how dangerous this challenge was.

“Please DO NOT allow any swimmer to ever try what was aired tonight on #ImACelebrityAU.

Tried This? RATE IT Now…

Image of Love To Dream Transition Bag
Love To Dream Transition Bag

Submitting your rating…

“Continuous, repetitive breath holding, combined with water of this exact nature, can result in sudden blackout, without warning to the breath holder and result in a very fast and silent death due to drowning.

“Yes, Dr Chris Brown did highlight it was a real risk, but this should never have been aired with families/children watching it without a true reason of the risks associated.

“Not only can hyperventilating cause the issue, but so can the continuous and repetitive nature that was displayed.

“Please note: competent swimmers are at real risk of drowning, from a sudden Shallow Water Blackout if you try this.

“Please educate yourself and your loved ones, if you watched this tonight.”

Public response

People have commented that it should never have been allowed to go ahead despite Dr Chris frequently warning of the danger.

– One comment read, “There should have been a warning before the start of the challenge. Yes Dr Brown did mention SWB but their should’ve been an explanation !!”

– Another added, “I felt sick last night watching it. Knowing a young boy ( Jack) that was taken from his family at such a young age
and has left that family grieving and without their gorgeous boy, I was horrified to see this on prime TV with an audience that may not fully understand the consequences. Should not have been one of the games.”

– “I was stunned they did this and even commented that it could lead to shallow water black out?!?! Umm then why are you risking it… very stupid.”

– “Very irresponsible! It’s one thing to have all the safety equipment they use for the things they do but this is completely different situation! Dr Chris briefly mentioning possibility of SWB isn’t raising awareness when there is no follow up explanation or warning attached!”

On the I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here Australia Facebook page fans also shared their horror at the challenge.

– “Absolutely ridiculous trial! Way too dangerous to a persons health … what if he had a heart attack or panic attack! I love the show but that was just stupid!”

–  “Channel 10 you should be disgusted in yourself letting someone do that. That trial was so dangerous and honestly I think that could have lasting affects on poor Shane. ”

– “I could not watch that. As a learn to swim coordinator I educate the public on shallow water blackout and how important it is not to do breath holding activities. I’m the biggest fan of your show but definitely didn’t like that challenge.”

– “I am stopping my family from watching thiis show after this challenge it is just one stupid dangerous thing after another we are trying to stop this breath holding. What are the producers thinking? This is not at all funny or entertaining”


Share your comments below

  • This should not be shown on TV when young ones including teenagers are likely to try the stunts even though there is warnings shown


  • No way at any time are these celebrities in danger when performing any of these tasks. The stunts are worked on for months before the celebrities do them to iron out any kinks. And there are always qualified people on hand to jump in the second it even looks like something is going wrong. If people at home are stupid enough to try these stunts without professionals around…….is it really anyone elses fault? There are plenty of warnings given by the show beforehand


  • Do think that Shane was a more worthy winner than Richard Reid.


  • I no longer watch this show due in part to the trials, I can imagine I would have clicked if off in disgust. Again.


  • It was really hard to watch and I was actually yelling at the TV. The only saving grace was knowing that he was always going to make it out.


  • really shouldn’t be shown on tv if it is dangerous and could result in death! – I’m glad nothing happened to Shane.

    Disappointed though that the producers would think it ok to even do this challenge, let alone air it for family audiences to watch! Being a celebrity in the jungle is one thing, yes watching them squirm when they put them inboxes with snakes etc if sort of numerous, but making them do something that can actually kill them isn’t, even Survivor doesn’t resort to that sort of treatment!


  • My brother is an experienced freediver who has luckily survived a shallow water blackout. He was out scouting before a competition with his dive partner who found him unconscious on the ocean floor. It’s a miracle he’s still with us today, and had no permanent damage. I agree there needs to be alot more information made public about the dangers of shallow water blackout.


  • I don’t watch any reality shows. I do agree that part should never been broadcast. I watched once before and I saw someone fall asleep by a fire, roll into that fire and have to be flown out due to burns.


  • I haven’t watched it but it does not sound good.


  • There have been several trials this year that I have thought were too much.

    • I agree – I no longer watch.

      • I think so, too, I guess the’ve just run out of ridiculously disgusting foods to feed the contestants…!


  • Don’t watch the show not a fan


  • Some of the challenges on the show do appear dangerous. Survivor is similar and the challenges can be tough and dangerous.


  • Never seen it, I don’t watch television at all.


  • Not something we watch luckily because our youngest kids would copy it


  • Haven’t seen this episode yet but its quite frightening how dangerous this was


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating