A vending machine is where we’d usually get something for ourselves. But LightTheWorld Giving Machines are a chance to give to others, with the swipe of a card.
By swiping your credit card at a Giving Machine you won’t get anything for yourself – but you will be buying life-changing items for those in need this Christmas.
It’s the perfect way to give back during the holiday season, if you’re not sure how to help. Giving Machines make it easy for us to support local charities that provide clothing, food, emergency supplies, medical care and support to those who are in hardship.
Take a look at how it works:
- Each of the Giving Machines locations partners with local charities to curate a selection of five of their top needs over the next year, ranging from lifesaving medical care, support for people experiencing homelessness, and literacy and numeracy tutoring for rural people. The items range from $10 to $200.
- Visitors can walk up to a Giving Machine and choose something to give to someone in need. Each item or service is represented by a card, which drops from the machine with every purchase. The donor then has the option to scan a QR code to receive a tax-deductible receipt.
- Each machine keeps a running tally of the items donated to each charity. In early 2024, the donated funds are delivered to each charity along with the accounting of items chosen by donors. These donations will be used and fulfilled over the next year by each charity.
With Giving Machine, 100% of purchases are donated to nonprofits, with credit card fees and overhead costs covered by LightTheWorld.
Where to find Giving Machines
- Sydney: Westpoint Blacktown, 23 November – 27 December 2023
- Brisbane: Logan Hyperdrome, 24 November – 27 December 2023
- Melbourne: Eastland Shopping Centre, 24 November – 28 December 2023
- Perth: Lakeside Joondalup Shopping Centre, 24 November – 28 December 2023
- Auckland: Sylvia Park Mall, Mt Wellington, 23 November – 29 December 2023
The humanitarian organisations partnering with the Sydney 2023 Giving Machine project are CareFlight, Sydney Children’s Hospital Foundation, Smith Family, UNICEF, Food Bank, and GIVIT.
For more information, head to Giving Machine.We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.