Hello!

25 Comments

Teenager lucky to be alive after an attempt at the latest viral challenge ended in disaster.

WARNING: Disturbing content.

Skylar Fish, 14, from Washington is recovering in hospital after an attempt at the latest viral stunt went terribly wrong.  The stunt involves people wrapping each other in duct tape and trying to break free. Youtube is full of people sharing their attempt at the crazy challenge.

He fell while attempting to break free of the tape, hitting his head on a metal window frame and crushing his eye socket and cheek bone when he landed on the concrete. His fall resulted in  48 staples in his head.

duct tape 2 duct tape chalenge

The teen’s mother said the fall caused a brain aneurysm.

“If he would have hit on it differently, an inch over, he could have died,” Sarah Fish told local Fox affiliate KCPQ. “If his friend didn’t flip him over when he was having a seizure and choking up blood, he could have died.”

He has said he can’t recall much  – “I’m just, actually, really lucky to be alive”.

Mrs Fish wants to warn others about attempting the challenge.

“I want people to stop and think that there are so many risks to any of these challenges,” she said. “They’re dangerous.”

Share your thoughts below.


Images via Siemny Kim

  • So lucky he’s alive !
    This was a tough lesson to learn, hope many other learnt from this !!

    Reply

  • How sad. But kids have been doing silly and risky things since long before the Internet. Hope he recovers well.

    Reply

  • The sheer idiocy of people never ceases to amaze me….

    Reply

  • Kids! what can you do with them! How they turn from sweet lovely kids into dumb teens I’ll never understand. The internet as a lot to answer for. I would never have thought of the stupid things that teens get up to these days.

    Reply

  • i have not heard of this challenge, but I really hope it has stopped.

    Reply

  • This does sound like a bit of a freak accident – partly due to the location of the challenge. Sympathy to his family.

    Reply

  • It’s tragically frightening that such an accident had to happen before people are warned of the dangers of these challenges. He’s very lucky to be alive, and I hope he recovers well and his family are okay.

    Reply

  • Why do people get involved in such silly things. I wish him well.

    Reply

  • this bloody internet is amazing in some ways, but HECK it causes some issues

    Reply

  • our youth are doing such stupid dangerous things these days, its a shame, this boy is lucky to still be alive.

    Reply

  • Just how stupid are these people??? Seriously – duct tape???


    • Duct Tape is fairly easy to stretch initially but once it is stuck firm it can be very hard to remove. Accidents could very easily happen while struggling to loosen and remove it.

    Reply

  • Oh my goodness. He is very lucky to be alive. I hope this story and pictures go viral to stop any other teenagers attempting the same thing

    Reply

  • Oh dear ..do hope this tragic outcome is a warning to others .
    Pray the young lad recovers well.

    Reply

  • yeah that went very badly for him. lucky he is alive though.

    Reply

  • Any internet challenge scares me terribly. Because, children/teens/young adults are immature enough to try them and share them virally. Without considering the consequences. Every time I see one of these I take the opportunity to speak to my son about stupidity.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join