Renewed warnings over co-sleeping dangers following the death of a four week old baby boy.

The newborn baby was found dead at the side of his parents’ bed after they dozed off alongside him, an inquest heard.

Keeley Makin and partner Nicky Marsh usually put little Archie to sleep in his Moses basket in their bedroom but let the baby lie next to them after a night feed, shares The Sun.

The pair, who were described as “perfect parents”, woke up later that morning to find the tot unresponsive so dialled 999.

Archie was rushed to hospital but was pronounced dead from sudden infant death syndrome on November 17.

The inquest heard tests showed he had sustained accidental rib fractures thought to have been caused by him being ”squeezed side-to-side.”

Keeley and Nicky wept at the hearing in Bolton, Greater Manchester, after the coroner warned parents about the dangers of sleeping with their newborns.

In an emotional statement, Keeley said: “Archie was our beautiful little boy. He was our fourth child, we already have three boys.

“Archie’s death came as a horrible shock for the whole family. We were all so excited for Archie to come along, his brothers were amazing with him.

“We did not get to see his first smile. Not a day goes by where we don’t think about our Archie. He will forever be in our hearts.”

She told the inquest how Nicky had been to work while she stayed at home with the children on the day Archie died.

At around 1.30am, Nicky took the baby, who had a cold and was struggling to breath, from his Moses basket and gave him a bottle in bed after returning home.

He then lay Archie on the left side of the bed but tragically fell asleep, the court was told.

The couple frantically tried giving Archie CPR when they found him unresponsive the next morning but he couldn’t be saved.

Recording a conclusion of an accidental death, coroner Alan Walsh said: “There are probably hundreds of thousands of parents who may have infants sleeping in their bed this evening. But every one of those parents potential puts their infants child at risk.

“One thing that can arise from Archie’s tragic death is an awareness. This is a risk that can be avoided and a death that can be prevented.

“You would never have imagined this would have happened. You provided the perfect home, you were the perfect parents and I am extremely sorry.”

Our thoughts are with them x

Share your comments below

  • i co slept with each of my children and was lucky that nothing happened. I do not sleep soundly with young children in the bed. Even when my 4 year old grand daughter crawls into my bed, I still do not sleep soundly. Never sleep with a child if you do sleep soundly or something has happened to make you sleep deeply.


  • I have a newborn and a two year old to chase after. I think I’ll be back to pre pregnancy weight in no time.


  • Babies who are breastfed are at as much risk or perhaps even more as your baby may fall asleep while feeding or you could go to sleep while your baby is still feeding.


  • Co-sleeping is safe, if you follow the safe co-sleep guidelines. One of those is for the baby to co-sleep with the breastfeeding mother.


  • that would be horrible but another reminder that co-sleeping just isn’t safe.


  • Heartbreaking I can’t even begin to imagine their devastation.


  • Poor baby it’s very sad may he Rest In Peace


  • Four week old baby is too small I think for co-sleeping.


  • This is so sad and so hard on the parents. I have done this and now realise I must had been lucky when I did it. My children were never between us but on the edge of the bed in my arms. Having my time over again I would never do this. It is so easy to happen, you are tired , late at night maybe and bam you are asleep.


  • Bawled my eyes out reading this. Rest In Peace little one!


  • Aw bless, so sad !


  • How horribly sad, R.I.P. little one


  • Omg that poor family. Co sleeping freaks me out. I didn’t sleep in the same bed with my first until she was almost 2, my 2nd I did it once on her first night while I was still waiting for my milk to come in. But I think I only slept for about an hour total that night because I was so paranoid about potentially suffocating or crushing her.


  • So sad I can’t imagine this kind of pain. For parents it seems you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Everything has risks, and unfortunately people lose babies no matter where they’re sleeping – cot or bed.


  • So very sad and heartbreaking – the poor bub and the parents. They will have this grief forever.


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating