Warning not to wear hair ties around your wrist after woman ended up in hospital.
Audree Kopp suffered a painful infection due to wearing a hair tie on her wrist. Doctors suspect that bacteria from a glittery hair tie got through her pores and hair follicles causing three types of infections.
“I didn’t believe it at first,” she said. “I thought that it was a spider bite, or something else, not from wearing hair ties.”
Audree noticed a growing bump on her wrist that kept getting “bigger and redder and worse.”
“They said I needed surgery, and thank God I caught it in time, or I could have had sepsis,” she told WLKY.
Dr. Amit Gupta at Norton Healthcare warned “Be careful. I mean, you can’t put all these hair ties around the wrist particularly because it can cause problems to the skin, it can cause infection.”
Audree said she is lucky and had she not caught the infection early on it, “could have been a whole different ballgame.”
“Once it gets into your bloodstream, people have been known to go into a coma, your body shuts down and it could have been way worse.”
“I want to inform everyone to make sure no one else has to go thru this,” Kopp wrote in a Facebook post. “The GLITTER tie is the one that caused the issue.”
“Please share this, because I’m pretty sure about 90% of us females don’t think twice about keeping hair-ties on our wrists. (Obviously I won’t be doing it anymore.)”
One very lucky lady!
Share your thoughts below.