Hello!

8 Comments

Raw milk probable cause of young boys death.

The toddler’s father told police he had given his son small amounts of Mountain View Organic Bath Milk on rare occasions in the months leading up to his October 2014 death, reports The Herald Sun.

The Coroner’s Court yesterday heard a Department of Health investigation, a forensic pathologist’s report and a subsequent outbreak of illnesses among four other children who drank the raw milk had all established its consumption as being the likely cause of the tragedy.

The child’s death prompted a health warning and led the State Government to introduce tough laws making unpasteurised milk sold in Victoria undrinkable.

Coroner’s solicitor Rebecca Cohen told the court the three-year-old had been a healthy child until suffering gastro symptoms on September 30, 2014, and being admitted to Frankston Hospital four days later.

He was transferred to Monash Medical Centre on October 6, where it was found his entire large bowel was infected. The boy passed away shortly after.

Ms Cohen told the court a Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine autopsy was consistent with tests taken during the toddler’s medical treatment, finding the same genetic traces in his bowel that lead to Hemolytic Uraemic Syndrome (HUS), a rare and dangerous infection stemming from ecoli bacteria which can be present in raw milk.

In the weeks following the death the Department ordered tests on samples from 39 bottles of Mountain View Dairy milk and found that shiga toxin which produces ecoli bacteria was cultured in one sample.

The department’s investigation stated that although HUS infections were usually an “exceptionally rare occurrence” it was dealing with two non-fatal cases at the same time as the death — and the only link was that all three children had consumed the same unpasteurised milk.

“(The father) understood the milk was labelled not to be drunk, but he noted it looked like every other milk container,” Ms Cohen said.

“Due to his intolerance to dairy, (the child) would only drink very small amounts of the unpasteurised milk, and only on odd occasions. “(The father) said it only amounted one-eighth of a sippy cup, and only twice per month at a maximum.”

The toddler’s emotional father told the coroner he now wanted the probes to be finished.

“To me it was a big deal watching everything that unfolded, and I do still struggle with the idea that it was treated as seriously as possible. But, I understand it was not likely to have changed the outcome,” he said.

“I don’t want to get involved in this any further, I don’t want to drag this out.”

Share your comments below.

Image via stock photo

  • My Avon rep recently consumed raw milk cheese. Made him very sick. He needed a week in hospital on a drip. He was told if he left it 2 more days before seeking medical treatment, his organs would have started to shut down

    Reply

  • Don’t think it has so much to do with the fact it was raw milk but with the fact that the toddler was intolerant for milk, so it was harmful to give him milk. Sadly this might have well been ignorance from the dad, maybe he didn’t know enough about intolerances.
    It’s forbidden to sell raw milk for human consumption in this country, however it is sold as bathing milk in some shops. Many raw milk lovers buy bathing milk therefor for consumption.

    Reply

  • But was it really a bath milk then? I checked that product in Internet and on the package, in big letters, it appears FOR COSMETIC USE ONLY. NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION.
    :-(


    • Bath Milk is obviously a product that can be used in the bath, the same as there is bath oil (not made from any type of milk) that is not for human consumption.
      Considering he knew what was on the labelled he could be charged. Basically he killed his son.
      He knew the child was dairy intolerant, and even if it had been proper healthy milk that is child neglect….in fact it is child abuse.

    Reply

  • A very big mistake that cost a child his life,may he R.I.P.

    Reply

  • How very sad for this little boy. His father made a mistake, but has paid a huge price for it.

    Reply

  • Why would you give your child bath milk. I don’t understand.
    RIP little one

    Reply

  • It’s silly to give your child something that’s labelled as not for human consumption.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join