Laura Price shares her top 5 tips for mum’s looking to start their own business…
My life is a crazy fast paced one, I embrace every moment and i wouldn’t change a thing. I have 3 beautiful children (Cooper 6, Ruby 4 and Maisie 2) and an amazing husband. What more could anyone need or want?
This is where my story begins I have something deep inside that gives me this drive to succeed at whatever I put my mind to. Just over 18 months ago The Gloss Bar was launched over night (literally) I woke up in the middle of the night with this idea of a business i was going to create, I was going to be successful at. By the time my husband and children woke up I had already applied for the ABN, registred the business name and created a website from here on The Gloss Bar has joined our family.
12 months after starting The Gloss Bar – A Hair, Makeup and Styling Studio I wanted more – much more. I had exceeded the business goals I had set months earlier. It was then that The Gloss Bar Lipwear Collection became my biggest business dream.
I now proudly have a team of 10 freelance artists and am so excited with what the future holds.
So that is the business side of me the other side the most important and rewarding side is being a mumma. My 3 beautiful angels are my world, they come absolutely first and before anything else. Yes this actually does at time need to be said out loud and ensured that it is put into place.
So how do I manage 3 kids and a business that is growing faster than I ever imagined? My answer is good balance. What is the reason that you are pursuing this career Mine was to have the flexibility to be able to be the kind of mum that i wanted to be but also have something that is mine, something that stimulates my brain and allows me to still be me – not just mum.
Is it easy – NO! but is anything? At times i work very late or get up very earlier but this allows me to be 100% mum when i am with my kids, it allows me available on school holidays and on those days when the kids are unwell.
Top 5 tips for Mum’s looking to start their own business
- Don’t set unrealistic expectations for yourself – It is important to remember that you may not have success immediately, but if you have the passion and drive, it will happen in good time! Don’t start a business just for its financial rewards, do it because you love the idea and believe in your own abilities.
- Avoid being repetitive – Originality is the fundamental building block to making your new business idea a success. Think about your target market and get creative! In this day and age you are already two steps behind if you don’t separate your business from the rest of the crowd, especially in the beauty industry.
- Don’t lose sight of your goal – Remind yourself everyday about the goals you set out to achieve when starting your business and celebrate when you have reached them, then make new ones! Never stop challenging yourself.
- Dress like you’re ready for business every day – Dress every day as if you could be stepping into the most important meeting of your life, even if you are working from home with your children in tow! You never know who could knock at your door and looking the part will help build confidence, even when dealing with clients over the phone.
- Plan ahead – Where possible plan your days out to ensure you aren’t juggling too many things at one time, especially when your children are in the house. One of the biggest challenges working mothers face is finding the balance between their business and family life, but once you find it, you will be thanking your lucky stars!