Rebecca Doyle, Founder of The Kidstore, one of Australia’s newest shopping destinations for kids, shares her top tips for shopping for kids clothes and how to buy clothes for kids of all ages, that not only you will love but they will too.
- Stock up on play clothes – Kids will be kids and it’s inevitable that they will end up with anything from dirt to paint all over them. If your child has favourite tee, double up on it so one is for play and the other for outings.
- Layering – During the transitional seasons of autumn and spring invest in layering items that can be added or removed depending on the temperature. For girls a pinfore is a great item that offers longevity through the seasons, add tights and a long sleeve tee for the cold and then just a simple tee underneath works for the warmer days. For boys long sleeves shirts work great over a tee or a singlet, or if ironing is not your thing try a hoodie or lightweight jumper.
- Invest in key pieces – Special items such as Christmas outfits and good denim pieces. It’s also good to invest where quality matters, such as in footwear and swimwear. Shoes are critically important to the way a child’s foot develops, a good thing to keep in mind when buying shoes, go for something that supports the foot and not just for fashion.
- For toddlers – We all know how quickly kids grow out of their clothes, so look for adjustable waists, pants need to pull on and off easily for toilet training. Toddlers are more active so stretch will assist with movement. Toddlers are likely to get dirtier than babies so expect to change a lot. Stock up on tees and knit dresses, leggings, knit shorts – items that are easy to wash and wear and don’t usually require ironing.
- For babies – For new mums the one thing that will help when it comes to dressing your baby is easy access clothes especially when it comes to changing time. It’s also a good idea to choose garments that are fastened at the front so you don’t have to turn baby. Keep in mind that babies grows quickly and that in their first year they will most likely go through 3 – 4 size ranges so shop with this in mind, if you’re buying for future seasons, shop up in size.
- Shop with your kids – As your kids get older they get more picky about what they are wearing. Save yourself the money by choosing clothes with them that they will actually wear. It’s all about letting them be their own stylist, it will also make the morning dressing routine that little bit easier.
- At the end of the day don’t take it too seriously, have some fun and play around with prints, graphics and colours. At The Kidstore we believe that shopping for kids should be as much about fashion as about having fun and being imaginative. When we design our ranges we are constantly pushing the boundaries to come up with new ideas and surprises for our garments.
We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.