Caravanning and camping holidays are a great way for families to enjoy the great outdoors together, and that should include the beloved family pet! Here are some tips when travelling with pets on holiday:
Before you go
- Ensure your pet is fully vaccinated and up-to-date with its registration.
- Make sure your pet has a name tag and contact phone number on its collar.
- Pet friendly parks all have different conditions for allowing pets, so make sure you confirm with management the caravan / holiday park’s pet policy when you enquire.
- Check what pet friendly public parks and beaches are close by your final destination.
- Ensure you have the proper equipment to transport your pet.
- Take a ‘pooper scooper’ or plastic bags to keep parklands clean.
- Take a coat or blanket for your pet.
On the road
- Keep your pet on their regular pet food – it’s no time for a change of diet.
- Make sure you take your pet’s favourite part of home such as a blanket or a toy.
- Bring grooming equipment such as dog shampoo. (You don’t want a smelly dog in a confined space.)
- Remember your can opener for food.
- Make sure you take munchies and treats for your pet
During your stay
- Respect the caravan holiday park’s regulations and other campers and caravanners; don’t allow your pet to dominate the space. Other travellers may not find your pooch or parrot as good company as you do!
- Always pick up any dog droppings.
- Make sure you have complete control over your pet at all times, as much for their own safety as well as others around them.