The Government will soon be getting rid of the current rebate system replacing it with a single means and activity tested subsidy, the ‘Child Care Subsidy’.

The new system will see payments made directly to your service providers.

There will be an activity test to determine how many hours of childcare per fortnight you will receive subsidised.

In order to receive any subsidy at all, both parents are required to work, study or volunteer for a minimum of 8 hours a fortnight.

However, parents with kids in childcare will not automatically be rolled into the new rebate system starting in July, unless they update their details.

Parents are urged to head to their online Centrelink account via the myGov website to update their details in order to get the new Child Care Subsidy.

They will need to know the estimated income for themselves and their partner for 2018/19, approximate hours of work, and other details for both parents.

The online form is available at Centrelink and myGov and parents will be contacted by Centrelink in the next fortnight with further instructions on what information to supply. Or they can head to myGov now to fill out their form.

Further info can be found HERE>

Read more – The new Child Care rebate: What you need to know

Share your comments below

We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • I am thankful that my husband and I decided that we would go without certain things and that i would be a stay at home Mum. It had its moments but I am glad we were able to make it work. I admire those that take on the extra stress of working.


  • It sure is difficult to work when you have kids now a days, organising and paying for childcare


  • Raising children is very expensive and all help is needed for families to have healthier relationships without too much financial stress.


  • I know of a situation where the parents are separated, he is on a Disability Support Pension (he is critically ill), pays no child support – it would only such a small amount it wasn’t worth the fight in court, the little girl has a rare but very severe reaction to a common over the counter medication which could potentially be fatal if she touched by anybody has taken it within the last day. Consequently she can rarely place her in child care other than a private one. The Mum wanted to study and get a job but there is no guarantee she could come into physical contact with it and then her child touch her.


  • Thank you for this article, cheers.


  • Thanks for the update!


  • Just another waste of time and money by the government while pollies pull life time pensions from taxpayers. Note the money will go to service provider aka business. They want people to grovel and slave for any little money they give out while they fly first class, get free everything and bank all their wages. What an unfair system we have.


  • Just more bureaucracy for people to deal with – so stressful.


  • Aw bummer, both parents have to work/study or volunteer !


  • Yes, ask for help and they show you where a computer is in many cases.
    I know a teacher aide who had to fill out a form for the Education Dept. She decided there was 2 options so she took in to them and asked which way they wanted it to be filled in. It took 3 staff to decide how they wanted it done. She decided she wasn’t the only one that needed to be a mind reader or have another Degree.


  • You need a uni degree to work how to use anything related to centrelink.


Post a comment

To post a review please join us or login so we can allocate your points.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating