Did you know that if you don’t wear a supportive and correctly fitted sports bra during exercise, you could end up with permanent breast damage – this is important for ALL women – not just those with bigger boobies.
Here are all the reasons you NEED to wear a good supportive, fitted sports bra:
1. Larger breasted women can experience tension and strain in the upper back and neck if you aren’t wearing a good sports bra. The additional weight in the front means your back muscles have to work harder to keep your shoulders back and down. Make sure you are conscious of your posture to reduce any additional pain.
2. You might end up with Saggy Boobs Syndrome (SBS). You can get it if you don’t wear a good sports bra. Did you know that during high-energy, high-impact sports (like running), your boobs can move up to 10 or more centimetres. This can cause your Cooper’s ligaments (the ones that support your breasts) to stretch (beyond repair), which isn’t good. This also applies to smaller breasted women as well.
3. Size does not affect the negative effects of bouncing boobies. Did you know, that in 2007 a study by University of Portsmouth found that 50% of women complained of breast pain during exercise. If you experience pain during exercise, go and get fitted for a new sports bra ASAP.
4. Not wearing the right bra can affect your performance, fitness and weight loss goals. The same University of Portsmouth study found that running strides are affected by swinging breasts, which could stop you from reaching your goals – if you can’t run as fast as you could, because your boobs are in the way, imagine if they are supported correctly, your technique and stride would automatically improve, leading to you being able to run harder and faster, which leads to results being reached!
5. A recent study found each breast moved independently of the body by an average of 9cm for every step taken. The reason you NEED to wear a Sports bras is because they have been specially designed to absorb the shock of bouncing and reduce stress on the ligaments which cause breast sag.
6. Have you heard of Joggers Nipple? If you haven’t it probably means you haven’t experienced it, lucky you! It is a painful condition more common in men than women, but it’s a friction burn caused by constant rubbing of a T-shirt on the nipple. Ouch! This doesn’t mean men should wear sports bras though!
7. There are 2 types of sports bras available and are generally designed to compress or to provide a protective capsule type thing for each breast. Some sports bra can even do both.
- Compression sports bras are the most popular, mainly because they are the most stylish option. They flatten the breasts against the chest, which reduces breast movement. Women with small or medium breasts will find this type of bra most suitable, for any type of training. If you are a C cup or above, you won’t get much support from this type of sports bra.
- Encapsulation sports bras look more like our everyday bras and some types will also have an underwire for additional support. These types of bras work by supporting each breast by surrounding them and supporting each breast individually, rather than just pinning the breasts down to the chest. This type of bra is most suitable for women with large breasts, (DD or bigger), because they minimize bounce, but also distribute the weight of the chest between the bra and the shoulders, which helps to minimise back & shoulder pain.
- If you are a C or D cup, finding a sports bra that is both Compression/Encapsulation would be best. These sports bras work by both flattening and surrounding each breast to provide optimal support.
8. If you lose weight, or change body shape you need to go and get refitted for a new sports bra, as the size of your breasts would’ve changed.
9. You could always do the bounce test – stand in front of a mirror in your sports bra that you are currently wearing and jump up and down, or run on the spot and just see how much your boobs bounce. Then retest in a correctly fitted sports bra and notice the difference.
Just remember, regular exercise is great for your health, your mind and your self confidence. It is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, but you also have to look after yourself and your assets. You wouldn’t run without wearing supportive and correctly fitting shoes, so don’t exercise without a proper sports bra to protect your boobs!
For more information on living a healthy lifestyle, changing your shape, losing weight and toning up, visit http://www.blueskyfitness.com.au/services/ebooks-on-line-coaching/