A 10-year-old boy helped deliver his BREECH baby brother after his mother unexpectedly went into labour on their bathroom floor.
Jayden Fontenot delivered his baby brother Daxx after his mom Ashly Moreau went into labor six weeks early at his home in Sulphur, Louisiana.
Then, when he realized Daxx wasn’t breathing, the 10-year-old made the quick decision to grab a nasal aspirator to pump air into the infant’s lungs.
And making the story even more incredible is that the 36-year-old mother was bleeding profusely during the birth, and that the baby was initially in the breech position – meaning he came out feet first, reports Daily Mail.
Submitting your rating…
On the morning of the birth, Ashly’s water broke as she was using the bathroom.
She looked down and was shocked to see the baby’s feet were sticking out of her – meaning he was in the breech position.
And on top of all of that, after the water broke she immediately started bleeding profusely, causing her to worry about bleeding out before she could even give birth.
Doctors have said the bleeding was most likely caused by her placenta detaching from the uterine wall prematurely.
Because her fiance, Kelsey Richard, had already left for work for the day, Ashly had to call out for her son Jayden and ask him to run next door and get his grandmother.
His grandmother called 9-1-1 for the boy but was unable to help further than that because she’d just undergone back surgery and couldn’t walk.
‘Tell Me What I Need To Do & I’ll Do It!’
Jayden sprinted back to his home and said to his mom: ‘Tell me what I need to do and I’ll do it.’
‘I was crying, but I just tried to stay calm and collected,’ Ashly told Today.
‘Jayden was so calm that it made me more calm. I could see he was scared, but he knew he had to do it.’
The boy got down on his knees next to his mother and grabbed onto his brother’s feet.
Then, as his mother instructed him, he helped to move Daxx out of the breech position by rotating him when his mother told him to.
‘I had to pull him by the legs – not hard, gently,’ he told KPLC.
When Daxx was finally out Jayden noticed he wasn’t breathing and rushed into the kitchen to get a nasal aspirator that his 11-month-old sister uses.
He then ran back into the bathroom and helped his mum start pumping air into the newborn’s nose and mouth.
He Saved Our Lives
Daxx began breathing just as the emergency medical technicians arrived with an ambulance to take them all to the hospital.
‘Every time I think about it, I just cry. I don’t think Jayden understands what he’s done and how big it is,’ Ashly said to Today.
‘I said to Jayden, “You’ll always have a special bond with your brother.” I’m just so proud of him. He saved our lives.’
What an awesome big brother! Such a precious story to share together.
Share your comments below