A WOMAN is being questioned by police after allegedly soaking her sleeping husband in petrol and setting him on fire.
Emergency crews were called to the couple’s Wattle Road home in Macleod around 6am on Wednesday.
They arrived to find a 49-year-old man with critical burns to his face, feet and hands.
It’s understood the man was asleep in a bedroom on the second floor of the family’s two-storey home when his wife allegedly walked in, doused him in flammable liquid and set him alight.
Submitting your rating…
He was reportedly hosed down by firefighters in the stairwell before being rushed to the Alfred hospital where he remains this afternoon in a critical condition.
His 36-year-old wife was arrested at the scene and spent the morning under police guard in hospital.
She was released from hospital a short time ago and is being questioned by detectives.
Police said the couple’s 11-year-old son was home at the time and tried to help his father after being woken by his agonising screams.
The boy was assessed for smoke inhalation at the scene before being taken to Austin Hospital for observation.
It’s understood the family only moved into the area two years ago after relocating from China.
If you require advice or assistance, the following services offer counselling and support.
Lifeline 24/7 telephone crisis support 13 11 14
1800RESPECT 24/7 phone 1800 737 732