Hello!

11 Comments

Are your kids doing the deodorant challenge? A mum has spoken out to warn other parents about the trick her daughter and friends have been doing with deodorant.

A young girl revealed she burned her arm numerous times using aerosol deodorant because it “looks really cool” shares The Mirror.

Appearing on ITV’s This Morning with her mum, 12-year-old Kaitlyn Stanley spoke about the ‘deodorant challenge’ which has left her arm severely burned.

Her mother Sara Stanley shook her head as young Kaitlyn told presenters Rylan Clark-Neil and Alison Hammond : “My friends started doing it. You spray it and then it goes white and it looks really cool so I tried it.”

Spotted burns were evident all the way up the young girl’s arm.

When Rylan asked her: “Did you realise that you’re actually really damaging your skin,” Kaitlyn replied “no”.

She “didn’t know” how she felt about her arm looking as it does now. Kaitlyn added that she had “no idea” how many times she’d done it.

Her worried mum Sara Stanley posted a warning on Facebook which said that ‘apparently the new craze is the deodorant challenge’.

She wrote: “I’ve warned Kaitlyn Stanley not to do it again… Just want you all to be aware xx.”

She said she spoke to her daughter to “get her head round” why she had done it, before posting a status on Facebook to let other parents know and be warned, making it public so everyone could see it.

Dr Ranj Singh spoke of the serious harm this could cause.

“What the deodorant does is cools your skin down really rapidly and essentially you get frostbite that breaks the skin down.

“Not only does that hurt so you get problems with pain, it breaks the skin barrier down and it can predispose you to infection. It can damage the pigment in the skin– and that can be long-term.

“If you have damage to the pigment, you have to protect it because that could increase your chances of skin cancer later.”

He said if the skin breaks down you end up with holes in the skin, and although it isn’t common, this could result in the need for skin grafting.

A spokesperson from St John Ambulance, said: “This activity is extremely dangerous. Given the aerosol deodorants being used for this and the amount of deodorant used, not only will children burn their skin but there is also a risk of Sudden Sniffing Death Syndrome.

“The syndrome is usually associated with cardiac arrest and can occur with many types of inhalants including aerosol products. In the event of cardiac arrest, you will need to begin CPR immediately and call an ambulance.

“If someone has suffered a burn of this type but is otherwise responsive, make sure they are treated immediately by cooling the affected area as quickly as possible. Run it under cool water for at least ten minutes, or until the pain feels better.

“Don’t use ice, gels or creams as they can damage tissues and increase risk of infection. Once the burn has cooled, cover it with kitchen cling film.

“If the burn is on the face, hands, feet, or larger than the size of the person’s hand, it is likely to be a more serious burn and you should seek further medical advice.”

Share your comments below.

Image via ITV

  • Crazy !
    This shows how bad aerosol deo’s are !!

    Reply

  • i have never even heard of this challenge before but it is silly!

    Reply

  • Luckily my kids don’t seem to follow any crazes. They never ask for anything and tell me about the silly things at school and ask me why.

    Reply

  • Very worrying new craze. I had not heard of it up until now.

    Reply

  • Social media is certainly helping to spread the stupid things kids do – from sniffing glue, to pretending you can fly off roofs, to this deodorant thing. Young brains don’t think of consequences. They must be trained. Perhaps parenting can help by asking ‘what do you think will happen?’ and always facilitating that ‘common sense’ reflection and assessment of action (and words etc.) before it’s done!

    Reply

  • Oh, this is terrible! It’s the first time I read about such a challenge. Better to address it as soon as possible before more kids are scarred for life! :-(

    Reply

  • I hadn’t heard of ths before.

    Reply

  • I hadn’t heard of this until now. Why do children insist on fitting in the the cool crowd and following their lead …. such a stupid and dangerous thing to do that can have severe and long lasting implications! I shake my head in disbelief sometimes ……

    Reply

  • Why is it that younger generations need to keep finding new thrills?

    Reply

  • This is a very dangerous craze. Children ..gee it is hard to keep up with what stupid things they get up to. Thanks for the warning/alert.

    Reply

  • Thanks for giving this warning so Mums can talk to their daughters about the danger of this new craze. The burns shown in the photos are fairly deep and will take awhile to completely heal. The pain would be excruiciating and last a few days, not just a few hours

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join