Parents play a big role in guiding their kids and equipping them with the skills they need to take care of themselves and contribute to society.
Here are the basic life skills teens need to gain independence from their parents:
1. Work skills
2. Transportation skills
3. Goal setting skills
4. Emotional regulation skills
5. The ability to deal with emergencies
6. Basic household management – laundry and cooking
7. Financial skills – money and budgeting
8. Time management, organisation and scheduling
9. Social skills, Communication and manners
10. Hygiene and personal grooming
11. Good dress sense never goes astray
12. Completing documents and paperwork
And teach them your phone number!
Submitting your rating…
Parents often put off teaching their young teens independence simply because it feels easier to manage their lives.
In some cases, parents feel fearful about the consequences their child could experience when they manage their life themselves. But we really do need to cut the apron strings sooner than later and instil these great abilities and trust them more. What can go wrong? HA!
Meanwhile check out these – 8 things you need to STOP doing for your teenager ASAP!
Share your comments below.