Find out how to fight the tummy bug when it hits and how to ensure the whole family doesn’t fall ill as well.
My youngest was unfortunate enough to pick up a tummy bug on his last week of school holidays. He spent a few days feeling quite unwell and very unhappy that it had ruined all his holiday plans.
We asked the wise mums and dads on Facebook what they recommend to help fight off the bugs when they hit.
One of the top tips was drinking red cordial. I have never heard that before! Must remember this for next time.
Your tips for fighting gastro
Other advice included, keep everyone washing hands, clean everything with Dettol/Pinoclean, Glen 20 and/or Eucalyptus Spray.
- Strip bedding and dry all used linens/clothes in sunlight.
- Drinking a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with water.
- Hydralyte or if they cannot tolerate hydralyte, drinks watered down. Fruit box juices can also help.
- Consider the BRAT method when someone is ready to try food – Banana (if they can eat it), Rice, Apple sauce, Toast.
- One of our members shared that her great aunt swore by coke for gastro… “as soon as one starts I drink coke and give the patient a little at a time….. she said it can clean a dirty toilet it can clean a dirty tummy lol”
- GRAPE JUICE. Have everyone drink grape juice. “It does something to the pH in the gut or something.”
And yet another recommendation for red cordial – “Red drinks help to stop you getting sick. Have 600ml minimum no later than when you feel that yucky tummy. It is what doctors recommend for Bali belly. I personally find raspberry lemonade works better than cordial.”
* Of course, these suggestions are not from professional health specialists and we recommend you seek medical help if symptoms persist.
Share your tips below.