Australia is full of amazing holiday destinations from the Great Barrier Reef in Queensland to Uluru in the Northern Territory and of course the Great Ocean Road in Victoria. However, there is one spot we can’t get enough of, and that is Broome in the Kimberley region of Western Australia.
We may be a little biased, but this beach resort town hugging the Indian Ocean coastline is sure to capture young and old hearts. There is plenty to do, from just relaxing and building sandcastles on the 22km-long Cable Beach to unforgettable tours and experiences that you and your little ones will look back on for years to come.
There are a number of tours and activities which are great for the whole family. Here are some of the best:
- Broome Camels & Cable Beach: Forget the horse and carriage! These gentle giants are absolutely awesome and guaranteed to be a hit with kids of all ages! Check out the sunset ride camel side.
- Broome Hovercraft: Experience the thrill of a hovercraft flight across the mudflats of Roebuck Bay! A sure fire great way to view the dinosaur footprints and flying boat wrecks.
- Broome Kayaking: The whole family will enjoy paddling Broome’s waters and chance and encounters with local marine and bird life.
- Broome Town Tours: Broome’s “wild, wild west” colourful history includes stories of swashbuckling buccaneers, colonial splendour, Japanese pearl divers, heroic pilots and of course, indigenous culture. You can also self-explore the town and Cable Beach areas by bike or foot and taking full advantage of the flat roads and beautiful weather!
- Dampier Peninsula: You’ll need a 4-wheel drive vehicle, or book a guided-tour, to explore the Dampier Peninsula and Broome’s stunning northern beaches including the stunning red cliffs at James Price Point! Kooljaman at Cape Leveque is perfect for kids with great snorkelling around the rocks and is safe for swimming all year round!
- Dinosaurs at Gantheaume Point: Although only visible at very low tides, the kids will be mesmerised by locating the famous 120 million-year-old dinosaur footprints here! The ones on the shores of Roebuck Bay can be clearly seen when you take a flight on the Broome Hovercraft.
- Horizontal Waterfall: One of Broome’s best known natural wonders is created by the enormous Indian Ocean tidal influences. A big ticket item not to be missed!
- The Malcolm Douglas Crocodile Park: Definitely educational and lots of adventure! Watch the priceless look on your kids’ faces as they view the crocodiles at feeding time (not too close though)!
- Pearl Tours: Visit a pearl farm at Cygnet Bay or Willie Creek; accessible by plane, helicopter, bus or self-drive. Enjoy a tour of Chinatown where you will learn about Broome’s history and the cultured pearling industry. Kids 0-16 years ride free with a parent on the excellent Town Bus Service! That is cost-effective travelling!
- Whale Watching: During the months of June to September, your family will enjoy scanning the horizon for a mighty humpback whale with plenty of loud tail and pec slaps, magnificent breaches and close encounters on a whale watching adventure! You’ll also see dolphins, rays, turtles, dugongs, and more!
These are just a few of the awesome experiences you and the kids can enjoy on your Broome holiday.
Which activity would your family enjoy the most? Share with us below!
Image source Shutterstock.