Hello!

11 Comments

A Family enjoying a caravan trip of a lifetime ended suddenly when their toddler was seriously injured.

The QLD family were travelling across Australia, when 17-month-old Hunter pulled a boiling kettle on himself and suffered severe burns to his body.

The little boy’s devastated mother spoke to 7 News Online from hospital, where Hunter has been receiving treatment for the past four weeks.

“This will affect his whole life,” she said, recounting the March 26 accident when her little boy pulled open the caravan’s oven door and knocked over a kettle boiling on the hot plate.

Tried This? RATE IT Now…

Image of Love To Dream Transition Bag
Love To Dream Transition Bag

Submitting your rating…

“He learned to walk three or four steps three days before the accident. Before the accident he spoke all the basic words… but now all he could do is grunt,” a heartbroken Mrs Hall, 40, shared.

Four days ago Hunter returned to eating and drinking normally, without the need of a drip, which his mother said was some progress.

“For the first four weeks, if a nurse walked into a room he would start screaming,” she said.

He now lets nurses take observations every six hours without too much fuss, but Hunter’s blood pressure remains high and he is still not talking, Mrs Hall said.

Speaking of the accident, Mrs Hall said she immediately ripped off Hunter’s t-shirt and yelled for her husband Mick, 43, to help apply cold water to the boy’s body.

Aside from burns to his chest, and left foot, she noticed Hunter’s right leg was badly scolded so the family rushed him to Caloundra hospital about 22km away. He was later transferred to Brisbane’s Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital burns unit.

The little boy has since undergone four skin grafts to his, head, chest, right leg and foot, and the sole of his left foot.

You can help Hunter’s family with financial costs, by visiting their GoFundMe page to donate.

We wish little Hunter lots of love and healing vibes.

Share your comments below. 

Image via Gofundme 

  • man that is so sad for that kid. you could only hope that he would recover well because he is so young

    Reply

  • So tragic – hope he isn’t scarred for life like my mum was. Wishing you all the best.

    Reply

  • Unfortunately in a caravan some things are not up as high as they are in a house. Stoves etc. are not as deep from the back of it or as tall. There is not much space to move around in a caravan either. I suspect the toddler may be in hosptial for a few weeks yet, especially as they are living in a caravan – not in a house where he can be quarantined in one room so he can’t catch infection from other family members. The parents initially had to wear special gowns etc. to reduce the risk of infection. I know of a similar case – but it happened in a rental house (littlie stood up on tippy toes for the first time hitched one finger in the handle pulled a hot teapot down on top of himself) from a narrow bench.

    Reply

  • How sad. Poor little Hunter.
    I wish him a speedy recovery

    Reply

  • The kids are without a mum or a DAD. This happened in my town and as far as anyone knows there was no history of DV. We are a farming community and we have guns. If it wasn’t a gun it would have been something else.

    Reply

  • That poor wee boy. Sadly, these horrific accidents can happen so quickly. My then 14 month old son pulled a hot bowl of soup over himself and got burnt from his top lip down to his naval, arm and foot. Thankfully I acted fast and covered him in water before calling for an ambulance. He now has two scars on his collar bone but could’ve been worse. I hope this child recovers as well as mine did

    Reply

  • poor little guy, hope he recovers enough to go home soon!

    Reply

  • How tragic. Why weren’t these parents watching their child near a boiling kettle?

    Reply

  • Oh no, poor little mite! Wishing him a speedy recovery. A holiday to remember for all the wrong reasons

    Reply

  • The poor little boy,a terrible accident for any-one!

    Reply

  • Boiling water is such nasty stuff. I have big scars all over my arm from a boiling water burn 20 years ago. Such an awful thing for a toddler to go through.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join