Starting off the new school year with great homework habits sets kids up for a great year.
- Desk: Create a space where the kids can do their homework, whether its a desk of their own, or their own space at a office table you already have. Alternatively, create a portable homework station that they can bring to the bench or kitchen table.
- Supplies: Set up containers with pencils, erasers, scissors, glue etc. Having everything they need on hand saves time looking for what they need for homework.
- Decorate: Get the kids to help decorate their area so they want to use it. Homework is not always fun but providing them with a happy space will help motivate them. Adding a pin board can help them proudly display their work.
- Clutter: Help your child keep the desk area clean and clutter free so they always have space to work and they don’t get distracted by the mess.
- Noise: Make sure there work space is free of TV, music and too much distraction.
- Time: Have a set time when the kids know is homework time everyday. There will be less fights if you’re not constantly asking them to do it.
- Electronics: Unless the kids are using a computer for homework, make sure all devices are not within easy distraction. Turn phones etc on silent.
- Support: Young kids will need help with homework but make sure you don’t do the work for them. Older kids can be left to work alone but make sure you monitor them and keep them on track if needed. Also be on hand for them to ask questions if they need.
Do you have any homework tips to share?
PLEASE share with us in the comments below
Image credit: PixabayWe may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.