Winter is that time of year when illness seems to be inevitable, however by using some techniques to boost the immune system before the winter season begins can help with better recovery and less illness.
Homeopath and nutritionist Sarah Kottmann says that young children are at greater risk as their immune systems aren’t fully developed until the age of 6.
This is why children below the age of six tend to develop more cold and flu’s as it helps to build the immune system.
A large part of the immune system, almost 80% in fact, is found in the digestive system. When an imbalance occurs in the digestive system due to food intolerances, taking of antibiotics or other medication or stress and lack of certain nutrients the digestive system starts to suffer by becoming inflamed and causing “leaky gut syndrome.”
Keeping the gut healthy is one of the most important aspect of having a healthy immune system
There are a few simple tips to improving the immune system in preparation for winter:
- Eat a healthy and well balanced diet and exercise regularly.
- Take steps to avoid spread of infection by washing hands regularly.
- Increase Vitamin C over the winter period especially if you already have a compromised immune system.
- Address food intolerances and improve the immune system by healing and rebalancing the gut.
- Maintain a healthy gut by using probiotics when required.
- Studies have shown herbs like Echinacea, Chamomile and certain Chinese mushrooms can help to boost the immune system and fight of infection.
Always consult with a health care practitioner before taking any vitamins or herbs. Food intolerance testing can be conducted through some health care practitioners.
Do you have any tips to add to this list? SHARE with us in the comments below.