Hello!

8 Comments

Two young children suffered severe burns to the mouth and throat after drinking a contaminated juice.

The young children were admitted to intensive care after drinking apple juice at a restaurant that is thought to have been contaminated with a caustic substance.

Siblings, Richie Zaragoza, 10, and Ginaya Mendoza, 4, from Pennsylvania, had been celebrating Richie’s birthday when the incident occurred.

The children’s mother Virgina Davis told Lancaster Online that Ginaya started vomiting shortly after drinking the apple juice, while Richie threw up blood, screaming: “It burns, it burns.”

The children were rushed to Hershey Medical Center, where they were treated for severe burns of the mouth and throat.

Both are understood to be in a serious but stable condition.

Restaurant manager Steve Weng told the Daily News the juice had been bought from a supermarket and served to the children in paper cups.

“I asked the waitress, and she said she just poured the apple juice from a bottle into the paper cup. That’s all,” he said, adding: “The soda area is open, so I don’t know if someone might have put something inside the apple juice.

“We cannot take care of everything. I don’t know if someone went back there. Some people they come and serve themselves.”

The boy’s father, Richard Zaragoza, told Lancaster Online that Hershey Medical Center had found that methanol among the substances in the children’s cups. Tests are ongoing.

That’s horrible! We hope they make a speedy recovery and also get some answers on how this even happened.

Share your comments below.

Image via Getty Images

  • wow scary! you should be able to trust that your food and your child’s food or drink should be safe to consume

    Reply

  • Oh my gosh I hope they will be ok, that is shocking.

    Reply

  • Oh my goodness, how awful !!
    Glad the kids started vomiting, imagine this stuff going down in your digestion tract !
    Hope it becomes clear how this could happen.

    Reply

  • Frightening to think you could take your kids to a restaurant and their throats get burned by apple juice! Horrible. I hope they recover fast. Poor littlies.

    Reply

  • This is really very worrying and hope they get answers real soon.
    Pray the children recover well.

    Reply

  • looks like they need to start serving drinks in unopened containers at the table

    Reply

  • Methonal is used in come categories of drag racing as a fuel. If you inhale of the fumes from it and are stopped for a Random Breath Test it will register as alcochol. I personally a volunteer official this happened to. Fortunately it was a very low reading. It was a huge shock for him as he doesn’t drink at all for medical reasons. He hates the smell of it and keeps his distance from anybody drinking any alcohol if he can avoid it without appearing to be rude.

    Reply

  • The poor children won’t be having a drink from a restaurant too soon!

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join