Family faces agonising wait after young boy pricked by a discarded needle at a playground.

Used syringes were found at Dixon Park in Esperance, Western Australia on Saturday by local father Daniel Edgar, 9 News reported.

Mr Edgar found the needles in the sand after his eight-year-old son Luke and his friend were pricked.

He took to Facebook to warn other families in the area.

‘Multiple used needles found loose and in bags along with what looks like faeces and other assorted junkie items,’ he wrote.

‘Two kids have been stuck (one of them mine).’

Describing the incident as “terrifying,” Mr Edgar told The ABC on Monday it’s “been the longest two days of my life … As a parent, you sit there fearing the worst that the result will come back with something.”

Mr Edgar’s son and his friend have undergone blood tests, but will need further checks to ensure they are not infected with HIV.

The council was called in, and later found seven syringes in the sandpit.

The equipment has been closed since Sunday morning.

Share your comments below

We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • I hope it all turned out well for these two kids.


  • This is awful. I hope the kids are well.


  • I can’t believe this happened at a kids playground. Such a scary thing to happen. Hope the children involved receive the all clear.


  • OMG that is truely terrifying. What kind of monsters would leave needles lying around in a kid’s area? I hope both boys come back clear.


  • This is just terrible, a very frightening experience.


  • How horrible! Surely even a junkie should have more morals than this…


  • This is just terrible for the family and kids involved and will be such an anxious time for them in the coming months. Just terrible. What is the answer? You could have Council comb through playgrounds every day/night (they won’t) to try and prevent such things. It is the fault of the drug user, but that’s no help. As parents now, we obviously need to rake through sand surrounding playgrounds to make sure our children will be safe. Such a tragedy.


  • I do hope the results are good and the children are healthy.


  • Maybe that’s why a lot of play areas are now using the rubber matting, including in school yard play areas. Syringes have been found in bark in play areas too, either on the top or a definite attempt made to bury them. Unfortunately there is a problem with that surface in hot weather. It can get too hot and go sticky. If a child is running and his/her shoe gets stuck to it it can result in a broken ankle or other injuries. At a playground last Summer two Mums were discussing it happening at the school their children attended.


  • absolutely disgusting, I hope they catch the idiots that did it. hope the kiddo is ok


  • This sort of thing is becoming so common – don’t know what more can be done by the council – guess it’s why a lot of councils have removed play centres like these around the areas.


  • Thats disgraceful! You take your kids somewhere for them to play and have fun, and be SAFE! My thoughts are with the families and the children, hope all is well.


  • So scary ! Those who leave this stuff around are so irresponsible and should actually be charged for endangerment of other people !


  • Luckily he wasn’t infecting. Really terrible. Those days waiting for the result must have been terrible!!


  • How horribly scary for the parents. Lets hope the children get a clear bill of health.


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by your browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating