Children may soon be banned from using cricket balls in public parks and at cricket grounds due to safety concerns that “someone will die.”
Earlier this week we shared of one school banning kids “hugging”, now that is a ban we are divided on. Today in the news a council wants to ban the use of hard cricket balls. This I 100% agree with.
Port Adelaide Enfield Council is considering the ban on all park users other than actual cricketers out of fear that passers-by might be injured and suggests that casual players should use tennis balls, Portside Messenger reports.
One councillor has even come out saying that the risk is so extreme that “someone will die.”
Councillor Mark Basham, the man who proposed the idea, has described his own plan as being a “nanny state” policy but said they were obliged to advise people of the dangers.
“… the culture I grew up in was you didn’t use a hard ball around people that weren’t expecting it,” he said.
“If you are an innocent passer-by who has every right to use that facility and a stray ball whacks you on the back of the skull, people sue the council.”
Enfield Ward councillor Carol Martin backed the push, saying flying cricket balls often hit non-cricketers.
“Someone will die. There will be a serious accident or a conflict between people … so there are serious issues,” she said.
However, the plan has been slammed by former cricketer KG Cunningham who claims people watching the Big Bash at Adelaide Oval were at greater risk of being injured.
“We’re just over-protective,” he said.
“What’s wrong with young people out there using a hard ball? Just put up signs saying ‘hard ball in use, beware’.”
Here’s what’s wrong
As a mum of boys I am used to cuts, scrapes and bruises. What I wasn’t used to was the nasty injury you can receive from a hard cricket ball.
Yes kids get hurt. Yes “freak” accidents happen. Yes kids need to play and get hurt. But I for one am all for banning the use of hard cricket balls.
They can do a LOT of damage, and sadly they CAN even kill.
*Graphic image below
This was three years ago. He was one VERY lucky nine year old at the time. It bruised for days and was very swollen and sore. At the time his little brother was only three. Imagine the damage if that ball had of hit him instead!? Hence I banned the use of a hard cricket ball in our neighbourhood. Not worth the risk!
Call me a helicopter mum, but this was one very close call for us.
Share your comments below.