Hello!

12 Comments

A five-year-old girl has died days after ingesting the drug methadone.

Police fear the young girl had either taken, or was given, the drug before being rushed to the Children’s Hospital at Westmead.

Paramedics were called to a home in Quakers Hill at 2pm last Tuesday with reports a child at the home was unwell, reports 7 news.

The girl was then rushed from the Quakers Hill Road scene to hospital where she remained in a critical condition.

It remains unclear how the young child accessed the drug, with local detectives and the child abuse squad investigating.

UPDATE 24 January 2017

The girl remained in a critical condition but was pronounced dead on Sunday.

Child abuse detectives are investigating the circumstances surrounding the girl’s death.

The Daily Telegraph reports the girl was being looked after by her grandfather while her mother and father were at work.

Police say the parents are extremely distressed and are helping detectives with their investigations.

Our thoughts are with the family and all involved.

Share your comments below. 

We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • There was a case a few years ago. The Mum put methadone in her baby’s bottle to help her go to sleep as she had been screaming as she was teething. It was an older sibling who discovered the baby wasn’t breathing properly and called the Ambulance. A rapid response unit arrived first which means there was extra staff to help treat the baby. They performed CPR all the way to the hospital, they had a cardiologist waiting in emergency ready but the baby couldn’t be revived. Apparently a family of addicts from what Hospital staff were told. They reckoned it was one of the most tragic cases they had ever seen. Most of them needed thorough de-briefing. Some needed counselling.

    Reply

  • Very sad to read this story,my thoughts are with family.

    Reply

  • What a tragedy. Should not have happened. RIP young lady.

    Reply

  • Oh my! Poor girl! :-( How did she get methadone? Too young to die! :-(

    Reply

  • What on earth? I cannot comprehend this. I hope she gets well very soon.

    Reply

  • Way too many questions that need to be answered. I hope this young girl is okay. There should not be any methadone even remotely close by for a child of this age to access.

    Reply

  • We’ve seen what damage it does to teens and adults. I can’t imagine what damage it could do to this young girl. I pray that she will recover with no lasting side effects.

    Reply

  • oh my goodness this is so heartbreaking. I really hope this little girl pulls through with no lasting effects or damage from this.

    I hope the detectives can find out what happened and how these were even in the house she was in – at least someone should be charged with possession! for starters

    Reply

  • Oh no, that could be one of my neighbors as we live in Quakers Hill !
    Where could such young child get it’s hands on Methadone ? Somebody must have left it sitting around, so dangerous !!
    My youngest in care has Down syndrome and was for the first couple of weeks of her life on Methadone as mum used heroin during her pregnancy.

    Reply

  • I really hope they find the parents are not to blame. If they are, then they do not deserve to have any children in their care

    Reply

  • It is scary to see how easily a kid can get into something they want.

    Reply

  • Wishing her a speedy recovery.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by your browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join