A baby boy has been left with second-degree burns after heat left a common garden hose lethal.

Nine-month-old Nicholas was playing with his family’s garden hose at their home in Phoenix, Arizona, when he began screaming.

His mother, Domnique Woodger, believed her son was simply afraid of the water, but as his skin started to blister, she realised the gravity of the situation, US television station KNXV reported.

“I thought he was crying because he was mad… he hates when he gets sprayed in the face,” Ms Woodger said.

“I didn’t think that it was burning him.”

With the hose left out in the sun on a scorching day reaching a temperature in the 40s, the water inside had drastically heated up and was believed to be about 65 degrees, shares Yahoo 7.

As Nicholas’ skin began to peel and blister, Ms Woodger rushed her son to hospital. Thankfully, the child is expected to make a full recovery.

“At those temperatures, something as short as a 10 or 30-second exposure can result in a second-degree burn,” Captain Larry Subervi with the Phoenix Fire Department told KNXV.

Ms Woodger warned other parents of the dangers of hosepipes, while the Las Vegas Fire Department shared harrowing photos of Nicholas’ injuries to warn residents about the intense summer heat.

“Let the water flow a few minutes to cool before spraying on people or animals,” the fire department advised.

Something to keep in mind for when we get some warmer weather back, later in the year, of course.

In the past an Aussie mum shared how she will never forgive herself for letting kids play with hose after their son suffered horrific illness and sadliy died - read their story here.


Share your comments below.

  • Oh poor little thing! So easy to do… great reminder to everyone to check the water temp before they start playing


  • Omg poor bubba. It’s a great reminder to us all


  • Poor little guy. The burns look awfully painful. I hope he recovers well. A lesson to us all to check the water temperature.


  • Poor baby it must have been painful for him


  • ouch that looks very painful, poor little guy
    such a simple thing that a lot of us overlook in summer


  • Ohh poor little baby……this is so easily done. Hope this is a warning to all parents the dangers of kids playing with hoses.


  • I’ve seen a few stories like this. Poor little guy


  • Aww that poor little guy! Thankfully he will fully recover with no scarring. Definitely something we will all have to watch out for this summer.


  • We live in Australia. Always check the temperature of the water coming out of the hose.

    • The temperature in the US can be terribly hot too in Summer depending on the area of residence.


  • We always run the water through hoses and taps as indeed water does get hot. Poor little one – looks so sore and painful.


  • Aw bless, this looks so sore ! Thankfully they expect him to make full recovery !
    The sun has a lot of strength, always good to watch out for this.


  • Poor boy. it looks so painful. It is a lesson to everyone as you forget how hot it gets inside the plastic.


  • Poor little fella. We learned this young when we would play with the hose in summer. I hope he isn’t terrified of the hose now.


  • Poor baby. I think this happens quite often sadly.


  • I guess with the heat of Australian Summers we are generally all aware of how hot water from garden hoses can be and see this as common sense.


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating