Cranberry sauce is a must on many people’s Christmas lunch table and did you know that you can easily make your own?
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 star anise
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 250g fresh cranberries
- 2 Braeburn apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 60ml ruby port
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- Put the sugar into a heavy-based pan with the star anise and cardamom pods and melt over a medium heat.
- Allow the melted sugar to turn a rich caramel colour, then add the cranberries and a touch of seasoning.
- Cook briefly until the cranberries begin to soften, then add the apples and cook for three to four minutes, tossing frequently to coat the fruit in the caramel.
- Pour in the port, then reduce the heat slightly and stir in the orange zest and juice. Simmer for about 10 minutes, allowing some of the cranberries to break down and thicken the sauce.
- Remove from the heat and discard the star anise and cardamom. Serve warm.
This can be made in advance and kept in the fridge.
Check out the Youtube video for easy to follow visual instructions:
What’s your favourite thing to make from scratch at Christmas?
PLEASE share with us in the comments below