Victorian family share their frightening story to warn parents and children about the dangers.
Little Kieran Neville will never forget the time he was trying to make porridge and it left him in the hospital burns unit needing surgery.
“I was cooking my porridge,” Kieran said of the September 2017 accident at Warrnambool, in a video released as part of a national burns awareness campaign.
He was left screaming in pain after leaning too close to the gas stove, causing his pyjamas to catch fire.
His mother threw him to the ground and managed to extinguish the fire before rushing him to the shower and applying cold water.
“Stop, drop, roll,” Kieran says in the video, recalling the tactic his mum used which helped extinguish the flames.
He was flown to Melbourne’s Royal Children’s Hospital needing a skin graft and months of physical therapy to regain feeling in his burned torso.
Royal Children’s Hospital burns surgeon Warwick Teague said it was important to immediately douse a burn in cold water for at least 20 minutes.
Share your comments below