Four-year-old girl reportedly drank from a water bottle that contained the illegal drug GHB.
Emergency services were called to a home in Albury on the NSW/Victorian border on Friday night after reports the girl was ill.
She was rushed to a local hospital before being airlifted to the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne on Saturday in a critical condition, reports 7 NEWS.
The girl’s condition improved significantly on Sunday and she was discharged on Monday.
It remains unclear if she was discharged back to the home where the drug overdose occurred. The Department of Family and Community Services have been notified of the incident.
A 30-year-old man was arrested at the home and has been charged with possessing a prohibited drug. He has been granted bail and is due to face court later this month.
Police said further charges could be laid after officers seized two plastic water bottles containing the GHB from the home.
According to the Alcohol and Drug Foundation, GHB has a high risk of overdose.
“It’s very easy to take too much GHB – the difference between the amount needed to get high and the amount that causes an overdose can be hard to judge,” the website says.
Share your comments below.
Image via shutterstockWe may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.