Popular Australian children’s furniture supplier Mocka has addressed growing concerns from parents who have discovered mould growing on their cot bases and mattresses.
It comes after parents shared images of their babies’ mouldy cots and mattresses, which had been purchased from Mocka. Sydney mum and baby sleep consultant Katie Williams shared her concerns on Instagram, revealing the extent of mould that had appeared on her daughter’s and son’s cots and mattresses.
“I changed my five-month-old baby girl’s sheets last night and was absolutely horrified at the black mould and spores I discovered on the base of her cot,” she wrote.
“I changed the sheets just eight days ago and (to the naked eye) didn’t see anything. I am completely rattled by the fact that my baby has been breathing in the severe effects of the toxins caused by black mould. There is no mould anywhere else in the room aside from the cot. The mattress is a completely breathable @growbright so definitely wasn’t harbouring any humidity in that.
“I then checked my son’s cot as his is also from Mocka and saw that it had started growing on his too. Since talking about it, I have spoken to hundreds of parents that either has had this happen to their Mocka cot or know someone it has happened to.”
Mocka has released a statement, saying its products are designed and manufactured to meet all safety requirements and regulations.
“After recent extreme weather, we received information that some parents found mould appearing on the base of their cots and mattresses. We are very concerned about these reports and want to ensure our Mocka community is updated on the action we have taken and continue to take with regards to this issue.
“We immediately commissioned laboratory testing alongside a detailed investigation and are working with the relevant regulators to understand the factors that may have contributed to mould growth. We expect to have the results of this investigation soon. In the meantime, our priority is the safety of our customers and their children. We encourage any concerned parents to please contact Mocka’s dedicated Customer Support team.”
Consumer watchdog the ACCC says it’s also investigating the mould claims, with parents urged to stop using the cots immediately if mould is discovered.We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.