Mum warns parents to ALWAYS slice grapes after her two year old son almost choked to death.
Sophie Jackson, 24, from the UK, said her son, Jake, turned blue and purple after the grape became lodged in his throat.
After passing out and going “floppy” from a lack of oxygen, he was saved when his grandmother reached into his throat and pierced the grape.
Submitting your rating…
“Jake just grabbed two grapes and put them in his mouth,” she said.
“I went up to take them off him, but before I knew what happened it went crazy. He just could not breathe and went blue and purple so quickly.
“I started to whack his back and so did his dad to try and ease it out. We opened his mouth to try and reach, but we couldn’t feel the grape.
“Jake was struggling, his arms went down and then he just flopped forward.
“I said we need to get it out or he was going to die.”
“My mum put her fingers into his throat to try and get it and she said she could feel it, so she punctured the skin, and we hit his back again and managed to get it out,” she said.
“He didn’t even cry– his colour started coming back straight away. We put him in the car and went straight to hospital.
“The doctor said he was very lucky, especially because of the colour he was. She said my mum saved his life. He is so lucky.”
Sophie shared this image on Facebook with the caption:
“Today was by far the worst day of my life! Ever since reading about that little boy who died from choking on grapes I’ve been cutting them. Tonight Jake sat down on the sofa near my dad he got a couple of grapes and put them in his mouth my dad called me straight away and before I got the 2.5meters to Jake he was already choking.
I immediately put him over my knee and hit his back several times. Its didn’t work I put my fingers down his throat, I couldn’t feel the grapes. Jake wasn’t able to breathe. I knew I needed to ring an ambulance. Mark got Jake and started hitting jakes back while he was still unable to breath while I rang an ambulance. Ellie was crying saying ” he’s going to die mum, I don’t know what to do” Jake was blue and purple and stopped struggling.
He wet himself then My mum forced her fingers down jakes throat and managed to pop a grape while mark was still hitting jakes back. My mums finger nail popping the grape made the smallest amount for room in jakes airways which enabled him to finally have the strength to retch hard and bring out the grape followed by blood and mucous. Jake could finally breath. We could beat the ambulance to hospital so we got Jake in the car and got him to hospital where his ears and cheeks were still purple. And I have being told by the doctors and nurses he is extremely lucky to be alive and as well as he is. Jake is home and well with just trauma to his throat. I am posting this to once again spread the dangers in the food most children love. Please cut your child’s grapes. Please tell everyone to cut your child’s grapes. Nothing is worth the risk of loosing them.
****UPDATE **** I am really overwhelmed by everyone’s support. I was not expecting such a positive response from everyone. We knew first aid and it was still a huge struggle to get the grape out. In fact we found two. Jake was not able to breathe at all and couldn’t make a sound. The grapes were whole and the skin wasn’t broken. We are unsure when the first grape came out. We couldn’t see any of the grapes at all until the very end when jakes dad compressed jakes stomach/chest which enabled my mum to finally see the grape and pinch it with her nails which with out a doubt saved jakes life.
I really hope this encourages people to look into children’s first aid and always cut grapes for children. Jake is 2 years and 9 months and if he ever decides to eat grapes I will always cut them as shown.
Jake is doing so fantastically well!!! Thank you all for your wonderful support.”
Gosh, so scary! Make sure you share her meme to help spread awareness to other parents.
Share your thoughts below.