Hello!

6 Comments

Cadbury has vowed to change its packaging after a 9-year-old girl died from eating a biscuit.

Isabel Marrero suffered a fatal anaphylactic reaction when she ate a Cadbury choc-chip cookie that contained egg at the beginning of the year, Ten Daily reported.

Mum, Helen Marrero, assumed she was buying her daughter’s favourite biscuit – but was mislead by almost identical packaging.

They both look like choc chip cookies to me even when you open them up they look pretty identical but one has the allergen egg and one doesn’t,’ Ms Marrero said.

cadbury cookie

In a bid for clearer packaging, Ms Marrero took on the confectionary giant.

Cadbury responded to the request and promised additional colours and text would be added to differentiate the packets.

The updated packaging won’t arrive in Australia until next year as the product is made overseas and will take months to be shipped, Ten Daily reported.

‘We’re doing everything we can to make this change as quickly as possible, and we expect the new packs to be in-store early in the new year,’ Cadbury said.

Ms Marrero said life without her daughter has been extremely difficult but she wants to implement change to ensure a similar tragedy doesn’t occur again.

ALWAYS check ingredients!

She urges all parents to check ingredients lists before purchasing items and to employ vigilance.

‘Please, which I have learnt now, please read every single time you have purchased a product, even if you’ve been buying it for five years,’ she said.

Such a horrible experience for the family. Our hearts go out to them.

Share your comments below

  • So sad

    Reply

  • So sad that this has happened.

    Reply

  • So sad ! I always check the ingredients, even when I don’t have children who would go into anaphylactic shock upon certain foods.

    Reply

  • It is sad that regardless of whether or not you pick up the wrong packet that the ingredients may have changed. If anybody in your family has allergies, please….take the time to check the ingredients. I know a lady who has been caught a few times because of this and been ill for a few days,

    Reply

  • Packaging generally needs to list ingredients in bigger writing so it is very clear what products contain.

    Reply

  • How sad. You expect to get a list of safe products and don’t realise how quickly they change their ingredients.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join