Mum discovers her daughter, 14, suffering a seizure after drinking a popular energy drink.
Sunshine Coast mum, Donna Honan, said she feared the worst when she walked in to find her daughter ‘twitching and jerking uncontrollably’ on Friday night, reports Daily Mail.
‘Her teeth were rattling, her muscles were twitching and her body was just jerking like she was being shocked,’ Mrs Honan said.
When the paramedics arrived, Mrs Honan said she soon learnt what triggered the adverse reaction in her daughter.
Submitting your rating…
‘I was shocked to find the culprit… this 500ml can of energy drink she had drank earlier in the afternoon,’ she said on Facebook.
While she was shocked, the ambulance officers were not.
‘The ambos went on to tell me they get call outs at least four times every week from teens drinking these things,’ she said.
‘Suffering rapid heart rate, involuntary body trembles and occasionally resulting in fatality.’
Mrs Honan said she never imagined how dangerous an energy drink could be, especially considering there were no restrictions on the products.
‘I always knew they were unhealthy but I never realised how dangerous they actually were,’ she told Sunshine Coast Daily.
She took to social media to tell her story and warn others about the dangers…
“Last night at around midnight I called an ambulance to our home for the first time ever.”
“My middle (14yr old) daughter began uncontrollably jerking and twitching in what appeared to be a seizure.
“The ambo’s were amazing! And I was shocked to find the culprit…. this 500ml can of energy drink she had drank earlier in the afternoon.
“The ambo’s went on to tell me they get call outs at least 4 times EVERY week from teens drinking these things then suffering rapid heart rate, involuntary body trembles etc.
“Occasionally resulting in a fatality!!!”
I knew these were unhealthy but had no idea they were downright dangerous!
The Sunshine Coast mother said the drinks should be sold behind the counter just like cigarettes were.
The Heart Foundation, Diabetes Australia and Cancer Council Australia want them taxed to discourage consumption. Read more on that here.
A couple of years ago a British teen, who suffered two miscarriages which she attributes to energy drinks, took to Facebook in a plea for others to not make the same mistakes. Read more on her story here.
Share your comments below