Hello!

17 Comments

Mum issues warning after her toddler nearly choked on her PJ cord following a late night feed.

Qld mum of two, Anna, shared a warning after her 16 month old daughter, Emily, became entangled in the cord on her pyjamas after a night feed.

Posting to Facebook Anna wrote: “Urgent! I co-sleep with my 16 month old as I know many mothers do. Last night I was wearing the PJ’s pictured below.

The long decorative cord with tassel somehow got tangled around her neck as she finished her boobie and rolled away from me to sleep. In my drowsy state I almost didn’t realise what was happening.

I’m cutting mine off before I wear these again. Please pay attention this is a genuine urgent risk.”

pjs

Anna told Mouths of Mums she is still very traumatised. “I’m quite paranoid about everything and then I let that happen! I’ll be criticised for sure.”

“It didn’t occur to me the string was so risky. This wasn’t a ‘possibly dangerous’ incident, this was the real deal, the cord was fully wrapped around her neck.”

Anna added, “I’m quite afraid for other babies of mothers who have clothing like this or even women falling asleep in hoodies with cords.”

anna blair

After contacting the place of purchase a rep called and told Anna she would forward her complaint on but Anna said she sounded like she wasn’t that interested and just said “oh well, there shouldn’t be that many of these PJ’s out there because they’re seasonal.”

The important message is please be careful mums (and dads) of what you and bub are both wearing at night to avoid something similar occuring.

Share your comments below

Stock photo

  • All cords are dangerous to young children. Lots of thanks to you though for bringing it to the attention of all on this site.

    Reply

  • Poor mother, how very scary. I applaud her for making other mothers aware of this potential choking hazard. Although this is a very frightening situation to say the least, I’m not sure how making a complaint to the manufacturer can achieve anything beyond maybe putting a warning tag on the item that it can cause a choking hazard.

    Reply

  • Yep and this is why nurses, SIDS Foundation, etc. all warn against co-sleeping! It’s also bad for setting up any kind of a routine with a child. Let them fall asleep in their own bed! Don’t be lazy get out of bed and feed them and then put them back down in their OWN BED.

    Reply

  • I hope she reports it to the makers. It is indeed a risk not worth taking.

    Reply

  • Truly scary, thank you for the warning.

    Reply

  • Not only a risk of the cord wrapping around your child’s neck but also of them swallowing it – so many perils to be aware of … thankfully, all ended well x

    Reply

  • There are SO many things we need to look out for to keep our kids safe. The list grows nearly everyday, it’s quite scarey

    Reply

  • How scary and was a great thing she shared this. Who would think such a freak accident such as that could happen

    Reply

  • Very scary ! You can’t blame the pj’s though…just cut the cord off and be aware of dangers when you co-sleep and feed in the night.

    Reply

  • We all need to be careful of what is on our clothing while sleeping.

    Reply

  • Something to be wary about. There are pros and cons to co sleeping this is a major con!

    Reply

  • If you’re going to co sleep you have to think very carefully about the whole environment.

    Reply

  • One of the many reasons co sleeping is not recommended.

    Reply

  • Very scary. It’s good to be reminded of all the things to be aware of.

    Reply

  • Wow, a frightening experience and definitely one worth sharing to make people aware.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join