One mum has taken to Facebook to warn parents of the dangers of blind cords, in the hopes that she can save other families from the terrible incident her son suffered.

US mum Arika Hernandez’s three-year-old son was playing on the top bunk bed in his room when he wrapped a blind cord around his neck thinking it would make a nice necklace.

The mum shared on Facebook:

“I have gone back and forth about posting this or not posting this but I believe if this post saves one child’s life it’s worth being vulnerable.

Tried This? RATE IT Now…

Image of Love To Dream Sleep Bag
Love To Dream Sleep Bag

Submitting your rating…

“Our sweet 3 year old boy is a survivor. On January 7th our son climbed up to the top bunk bed and wrapped the blind cords around his neck.

“He then began to walk down the ladder as the cords tightened he panicked and tried to yell for mom and dad but nothing came out.

“He scratched at the cords to loosen them but all he could grab was skin. At the last attempt to get free he jumped to come get us and that very jump saved his life!

“The cord snapped and freed him! We heard a loud thud (his jump) and then his loud scream! This was not just any scream it is one I have never heard in my life and it will forever be ringing in my ears.

“We took him to get checked out in the ER and they were very concerned and shocked. These blind cords are not meant to break. We are counting our blessings! God has big plans for our little boy, it was not his time to go.

“Please please please take my message and take action now!!

“Editing: NO CORDED BLINDS ARE SAFE! They now sell cordless blinds and they are worth every penny. Even if you cut the cords once the blinds are lifted up it creates a hazard. The cords can not be cut short to make them safer… there are still inner cords and if the cord is pulled so the blinds go all the way up, that pull cord will then be long enough to make a loop & strangle a child.

“My heart goes out the families that have lost their loved ones this way I am so sorry for that heart ache and can’t imagine the pain you have gone through. These accidents can be prevented let’s take action now!

“You can never be too safe in your own home. This is something I didn’t think my kids would do because I am constantly nagging them about not putting things around their neck. Kids will be kids and they explore, my son told me he was making a necklace and that’s why it was around his neck.

“Please help me save the next kid and share this message. Most importantly hug the people that mean the most to you. Be grateful you have another beautiful day with them.”

Her post has attracted over 66,000 shares and 740+ comments.

Did you know? (ACCC Statistics)

  • 1-2 Australian children die each year after being strangled by blind or curtain cords
  • Between 2001-2008, there were at least 11 deaths in Australia. Nine of these were of children under three years of age
  • In the US, a child aged between 7 months and 10 years dies each month after being strangled on curtain and blind cords.
  • Click here to learn about the mandatory standards for blinds and curtains in Australia

Read more – Hazard in the home: Blind cords

An overlooked danger in our homes

Share your comments below

  • I feel so relieved he is alright!


  • I’m just glad their son is okay. It’s so lucky that cord broke. Best thing to have been invented is the cordless blind.


  • A timely warning, never put bunk beds near a window. The cord will be long enough to be reached at that height. Also don’t let them play on the top bunk at all especially if they are likely to jump on it while you’re not watching. I know of kids who did just that at a friends house. They had a pillow fight One of the children got a nasty cut on her head from a ceiling fan.


  • What a horrific story. So glad this little boy is okay.


  • Unfortunately cords on blinds are known for being a danger.


  • Omg that looks nasty lucky little boy it could of been worse


  • very lucky little boy!


  • I can’t get over how bad his injuries were. had to be a very close call.


  • Have heard of the dangers of these cords before – happy for this young man that he is OK.


  • Not a new warning unfortunately.


  • So sad that this happened, especially in this day and age! There’s been so much stuff about the dangers of cords of any kind it’s hard to believe that there are still some people not taking the proper precautions! Our blinds have cords and each one is securely wrapped way out of the kids reach, and even then we have told the kids that they are danger and not to touch. This family and the boy are very lucky.


  • This has been knowing for a number of years now. I remember stories of young children being strangled by these cords


  • Aw this is very scary !
    Thank God this story has a happy ending !


  • Wow, they are so lucky! That would have been so scary for the poor little boy, and his parents! I am so glad that he is ok, but its a very good reminder to keep blind cords free from little hands and attached to the walls so this cant happen!


  • I saw this on Facebook and it was so disheartening seeing the photos and how close that boy was.


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating