Hello!

25 Comments

Mum urges Kmart to recall a glass drink dispenser after her two-year-old son severed his thumb.

Hunter Keremaro, who recently turned three, had blood squirting from his thumb last month when he tried to use the spout on one of the Kmart home brand dispensers.

The toddler was rushed to hospital and underwent microsurgery on his right hand.

Hunter’s tendon was severed and his hand will be in a cast for another four weeks. He was not able to open presents on his birthday and will not be able to unwrap any at Christmas either.

His mother, Tiahnee Keremaro, told 7 News Online how on November 27 she heard her son screaming and crying “mummy and mummy”.

She found him with blood squirting everywhere from his hand.

The 29-year-old wrapped her son’s bloodied thumb in a tourniquet and rushed him to Campbelltown Hospital.

She said the metal spout on glass dispenser was paper-thin and wants the product re-called “so it doesn’t happen to another child”.

She took the product back to the Campbelltown store a few days after Hunter underwent surgery.

The Sydney mum recalled how the attendant cried when she heard the boy could not open gifts on his birthday and gave him a $100 gift card.

However, Kmart have not yet sent the product back to headquarters for testing and Ms Keremaro claims there has been a lack of communication from the company.

“It has been two weeks and I still haven’t heard back and the products are still on the shelves,” Ms Keremaro said.

“Pull the product or have a big warning on it so the parents can be aware of what it does to kids.

“I just don’t want it happening to another child over Christmas.”

drink-dispenser

A horrible reminder as well to always be alert and aware of what your children are doing. We can get so easily distracted this time of year.

We hope Hunter makes a full recovery.

Share your comments below.

Image via 7 news

  • That is a nasty gash. I’m not convinced it was entirely the products fault though. Is maybe the child a race to blame? Should he have been doing what he was doing?

    Reply

  • What a terrible thing to have happened to her son. I hope he fully recovers from his terrible ordeal. I hope Kmart get in touch with her soon.

    Reply

  • Wow that’s so scary! Poor little thing :(

    Reply

  • I hope little Hunter will be ok soon.

    Reply

  • I’m terribly sorry for what this family has had to endure, but in no way is this an item for a toddler to be using on their own. I do think it’s irrelevant on whether it’s from KMart, Myer or a specialist homeware store. Let’s stop blaming businesses and damaging their brand for parenting decisions and choices. Please. I do really feel for Hunter and hope he is well soon, and maybe the shock of what has happened has left the parents wanting to blame someone, but let’s use some common sense. Please.

    Reply

  • I feel sad that the child got hurt, but I wouldn’t let my 2 year old operate that without supervision – I’m sure it is not intended for kids that young especially as they could pull it on top of themselves….. as a society we need to stop blaming everyone else and trying to childproof the whole world….

    Reply

  • Hope he makes speedy recovery.

    Reply

  • Oh my goodness how horrific! That poor bub. Kmart have such a great range these days but unfortunately sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

    Reply

  • What a terrible accident to occur to a little fella. I hope he has no long last damage to the hand. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

    Reply

  • This may have been a freak accident, so as long as Kmart checks it out, there may be no need to recall it. Sympathy to Hunter and his family, though.

    Reply

  • poor little guy, speedy recovery to him x

    Reply

  • Poor little Hunter. What a terrible experience

    Reply

  • Poor Hunter ! Hope his recovery goes speedy and well.
    I don’t think Ms Keremaro should expect that Kmart recalls this product based on this experience. Anything from glass is dangerous for little children. Up to us to protect them against it.

    Reply

  • It’s about time we started to take responsibility for ourselves and our families. Can we have a 2017 resolution that we won’t blame the government or any one else for the predicaments we find ourselves in. We did it, we bought it, we ate it. No-one forced us to do these things, so why is someone else at fault.

    Reply

  • When you buy a product you should be able to assess the possible danger of it – if you think it will be a danger, don’t buy it. We must take responsibility back for ourselves – let us make a resolution for 2017 that we will be the masters of our and our families fate and stop blaming everyone around us for what happens and insisting that the government look after us.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join