Hello!

23 Comments

A mum has spoken of her horror after discovering a needle in a nappy that her toddler son was wearing.

Kayleigh Smith, 30, said she was left mortified when she found the sharp object inside the Pampers nappy of her two-year-old son Freddie.

She had only just put the nappy on the youngster when he started coming up to her ‘clearly in discomfort’ , shares Daily Mail.

When the mum-of-three took it off she was shocked to find the needle protruding from the leg cuff and red scratch marks on her son’s thigh.

Kayleigh, who lives in West Midlands said: ‘I was absolutely gobsmacked and felt sick to the stomach.

‘I usually shop at Aldi for them but I went my local shop this time around.

‘On Tuesday I had put the nappy on Freddie and within minutes he came over me tugging at his nappy. Something was clearly bothering him.

‘Out the corner of my eye I could see this thing glistening. I pulled the nappy off and there it was.

‘I had to unpick it out of the nappy. it was in the Velcro leg cuff – I was mortified.

‘To me, it looks like it’s been threaded through the nappy. Obviously, you don’t know whether it’s clean or dirty.

‘It could have been much worse and it was lucky it didn’t draw blood although it left a nasty red scratch mark.

‘I contacted the shop and they quickly removed it off shelves, they were just as shocked as me.

‘I then got in touch with Pampers and they are sending a courier to collect the nappy and doing a batch check.

‘I’m just urging all parents to thoroughly check nappies before they put them on. I’ve been a mum 10 years and you don’t ever expect this to happen.

‘It could have done a lot of damage if he was sat a bit differently or it was in a different place it could have gone straight into his body.

‘I don’t even want to think about what could have happened.’

needle in nappy

A spokesperson for Pampers said: ‘We are sorry to hear about this family’s experience: we are in discussion with the family in order to understand what happened.

‘We have requested that the product and packaging are returned for full investigation as soon as possible.

‘Until this is done, we’re unable to provide specific comments on this case.

‘Our number one priority is to ensure that our products are completely safe for babies to use.

‘Our nappies are made to very high standards and we have strict quality checks in place at every stage of manufacturing process.

‘We encourage parents who have any questions or comments about our products to get in touch with us.’

Share your comments below

  • Pampers probably do random checks, not every single nappy…….the same as food manufacturers and other types of businesses do.

    Reply

  • No way !!!

    Reply

  • I find it hard to believe these stories. I don’t understand how you could miss that as you are putting the nappy on.

    Reply

  • What is going on in the world today? Glad this little man is ok.

    Reply

  • Thats horrific. How does this happen. We now have to watch everything in case it has a needle.

    Reply

  • When my boys were in nappies, there was a problem with Huggies. We kept getting toothpicks or fragments of toothpicks. Not anywhere near as serious as a needle!
    Hopefully this is a one off thing. Sorry it happened to you!

    Reply

  • Glad your son is OK.

    Reply

  • Truly terrifying, first needles in fruit and now in nappies! Very scary.

    Reply

  • This is just crazy!! I need to be really careful.

    Reply

  • Why would someone do this to a defenceless child. Hoping it was a mechanical thing and not a deliberate act. So glad it didn’t cause anything more than a few scratches even though that was bad enough. What is going on in this world of ours.

    Reply

  • What a shock! At least you did all the right things in contacting Pampers and letting them know. They are also doing the right thing in investigating. Thankfully, nothing too serious in the end, but a worth always checking things.

    Reply

  • This is despicable! Don’t they do product quality tests? Things like this just shouldn’t happen!

    Reply

  • We shouldn’t have to check everything for needles or contamination. Whether it was a mishap or someone actually planting them in products.
    Just glad to hear the boy is okay.

    Reply

  • Scary. Glad the Bub is okay. Another reason to use modern cloth nappies

    Reply

  • That is terrible. Many years ago I was feeding my young daughter Rice Bubbles and found a needle in it. I just contacted Kellogs but they just told me to return the box to the supermarket I brought it from for a full refund!

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join