Hello!

14 Comments

Mum demands answers after a knife-scare left her son bleeding and traumatised.

During a routine cake cutting ceremony, staff gave one of the children a knife to cut a cake for the preschool graduation but when it was dropped Kaylieb and another child reached in to grab it, resulting in a cut on Kaylieb’s face from his chin to his ear.

“It was just the pure shock of it, the screaming of my son and the reality of a knife involved,” his mother Tamara Juleff told 7News.

“He could have lost his ear, could’ve poked his eye out.”

While she is thankful that the cut wasn’t worse, she remains angry that it could have been.

“That’s the cut… it’s healing really nicely and it’s almost gone.”

She  has demanded an investigation by Liverpool City Council, which runs the centre, into how the incident could’ve happened.

“A teacher handing a knife to a child, a five-year-old child,” the furious mother added.

She says it’s now left Kaylieb with nightmares and he refuses to return to the centre.

Liverpool City Council Acting CEO Kiersten Fishburn described the ordeal as “an unfortunate accident”.

“As a mother I can particularly understand the stress of the parents so I can give my assurance we will thoroughly investigate and thoroughly review all our policies and procedures,” she added.

Liverpool City Council said it has already taken some action in regards to the children’s access to knives, but his mother is now asking staff to personally apologise to her injured son to help him get over what happened.

“I just want something done to make sure it’s not going to happen again.”

Does this shock you?

Share your comments below.

Image via 7 news

  • Obviously a staff member made a mistake in regards to the handling of a knife & it was an accident not intentional. The mother of this boy is the one causing trauma & instead of teaching him to move on from things that go wrong she is creating a huge drama from it, this is why we are seeing kids who can’t handle stress & have the entitlement attitude in life.
    If she had treated it as the accident that it was this boy would have shrugged his shoulders & got on with life but now the child has nightmares & won’t attend daycare because of how the mother handled it. One of mine was bitten severely in daycare & yes I was furious but I took him to the doctor for a hepatitis shot, got stuck into the director of the childcare facility then moved on. The bite was so bad that my doctor thought a dog had bitten him when he looked at it but I did not make a huge deal out of it.
    I see a lawsuit happening sometime soon from this mother.

    Reply

  • My feelings would be the same had it happened to my child.

    Reply

  • Why was a knife in with the children anyway. You don’t need a sharp knife to cut a cake plus the teacher should have been holding onto the knife with the child. Didn’t the teacher understand what happens when young children get a knife. Thank god it wasn’t any worse and I do believe that Kaylieb should be apologised to. Hope this doesn’t ruin his enjoyment of cutting a cake in the future.

    Reply

  • I did see this on the news. The lesson is, never give a knife to children. The cake should have been removed from where the children were for cutting by the adults.

    Reply

  • Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but accidents do happen. The bigger deal the mother makes of it the more traumatised the child will become…

    Reply

  • Accidents do happen – but a pre-schooler should never be left alone with a knife – a staffer should be guiding it and hanging on to it.

    Reply

  • what a horrible accident, I honestly don’t know what my reaction would be in the same situation

    Reply

  • I’m sorry this child was hurt and yes it could have been avoided.
    But accidents and mistakes happen and I think mums reaction is a bit over the top.
    When mum is so shocked, furious and traumatized herself it’s not strange that her son picks up on that and suffers nightmares about the incident.

    Reply

  • Surely a child could have been given a normal knife to cut into the cake and a responsible adult take to a safe place to cut it with a sharp knife.

    Reply

  • They are not really responsible people thinking about kids safety

    Reply

  • I think they should have been more cautious with that knife. Handing it to a child wasn’t a very good idea. The cut is quite big! Poor child!

    Reply

  • Yes it could have been avoided, yes it is unfortunate that a child was hurt but I hardly think it requires a council investigation.

    Reply

  • I don’t see why the child can’t hold the knife to cut his cake while the staff were standing there. Children of this age should know that knives are sharp and need to be handled with care. Having said that a butter knife would cut a cake just as well as a sharp knife.

    Reply

  • The knife should have not been given to the children.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join