Hello!

32 Comments

If your kids are into the latest trend you might want to have a read of this, just to be aware.

Another warning after Sydney boy swallows loose disc off fidget spinner.

A Sydney mum claimed her child was playing with the spinner when one of its disc’s “flew off”, she posted to Facebook yesterday.

“The side of the spinner was cracked and when he spun it, the disc flew off and he swallowed it,” she wrote.

Tried This? RATE IT Now…

Image of Nando’s Mild PERinaise 265g
Nando’s Mild PERinaise 265g

Submitting your rating…

“Parents of fidget spinners beware… our son swallowed the disc of a fidget spinner last night & ended up at RNSH Emergency.

The side of the spinner was cracked & when he spun it, the disc flew in his mouth & before he realised, he swallowed it!

He had it for less than 48 hours. Ours are now in the bin & just want to make you all aware of what can happen with these things.

He has to pass it within 2 days or we’re looking at alternative methods of extraction…”

We also shared recently that a mother in the US state of Texas is urgently warning parents over the dangers of Fidget Spinners – a popular toy that sent her 10-year-old daughter into emergency surgery Saturday.

Kelly Rose Joniec shared her daughter’s frightening ordeal to Facebook, cautioning parents the 7.5cm spinning toy – aimed at children with autism and attention disorders– could potentially be a choking hazard.

“On the way home from a fun swim meet, I heard [daughter] Britton make an odd retching noise in the back seat as I was driving,” Kelly wrote.

“Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth – she could utter noises but looked panicked so I immediately pulled over.”

As the young girl fought for air, she pointed to her throat, indicating that she’d swallowed something.

Kelly immediately launched into the Heimlich manoeuvre to dislodge the object, but nothing helped.

She said her daughter had put part of her Fidget Spinner in her mouth to clean it, and somehow swallowed the piece.

“Frantic, I went straight to urgent care where they checked her for choking,” Kelly wrote.

“They couldn’t discern where the foreign object was located – along the airway or the oesophagus. From there we got the red-light treatment via ambulance to Texas Children’s Hospital.”

There, X-rays showed the item – the metal spinner bushing, about the size of a twenty cent piece – lodged in Britton’s oesophagus.

Kelly said her daughter’s ordeal was “very stressful” and “pretty scary.”

“I wish to offer some word of caution to parents,” she said.

“Fidget Spinners are the current craze so they are widely distributed. Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings. The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids (under 8 years old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard.”

We previously shared…

Aussie mum, Molly, wants to warn other parents of the dangers of a popular new toy after her son “nearly lost his eye” while showing his friends some tricks.

Fidget spinners are the new craze sweeping schools across the nation and have become this year’s ‘must-have’ gadget for kids.

Molly, was horrified when her 11-year-old son Isaac suffered a painful injury after throwing one of the toys up in the air.

“He threw the spinner up a little higher,” Molly told Kidspot, “and he didn’t manage to catch the spinner but it came down and clipped the corner of his eye and crunch.

“He was very lucky not to lose his eyesight let alone his eyeball.”

Fidget spinners are propeller-shaped gadgets with ball bearings that allow them to spin, and kids enjoy competing to see who can come up with the best tricks or keep their gadget spinning longest.

The addictive little gadgets come in a range of shapes and colours and were originally designed as a stress-relieving tool.

The spinners and cubes have already been banned in some schools by concerned teachers who believe the toy is distracting- it seems with good reason.

Isaac has been left with scarring on his eye which “prevents him from seeing out of the corner” and has to turn his head in order to see, according to Kidspot.

They have been banned in thousands of schools across UK, America and some Melbourne classrooms have already followed suit.

Melbourne’s Mazenod College assistant principal, Tony Coghlan, told The Herald Sun their school had banned students from bringing them to class.

This little “accident” could quite as easily have happened with any toy. As you our MoM members have pointed out on our Facebook page. They are not designed to be a “toy” which is were the bigger issue seems to sit with many parents. The whole purpose of them for sensory children is now under threat with many school bans.

Remember the rubber band or good old yoyo when we were at school?  Now that was a nasty injury!

Have your kids been driving you crazy with the new fidget craze?

Share your comments below.

Read more: The true purpose of the fidget toy has been totally lost in a fad

RECALL and safety investigation launched for some ‘fidget spinners’

 

Image stock photo

  • so did these types of things happen a lot before the fidget spinner became so mainstream? or are the cheap knock off’s just everywhere now

    Reply

  • I can imagine these were very scary experiences.
    However any toy what you swallow can cause a dangerous situation and I don’t think this is a specific hazard of the fidget spinner.

    Reply

  • These seem to be more trouble than they’re worth. I imagine in a few months no-one will be interested in a fidget spinner.

    Reply

  • Good to know the risks. I guess with small moving parts the risks are high.

    Reply

  • I’m glad our school banned them.

    Reply

  • The latest is this toy was used as a knuckle duster when fighting with another young lad. Just a matter of time before someone gets really hurt.

    Reply

  • Oh dear, this is a real worry, thanks for the update.

    Reply

  • I think only children with special needs should be allowed to have them in the classrooms. There’s no need for other children to have them. The only reason I bought both the spinner & cube is because my son has ADHD & so normally fidgets with things all the time. I don’t allow him to take them to school because I know they would be distracting to others.

    Reply

  • Glad my boys are too old for this type of device. Sounds too dangerous for youngsters.

    Reply

  • This may be a good toy for children that have autism. I’m not a huge fan of these I have 2 children aged 11 who is in grade 5 and 2/3 of her class has one my other child who is 13 and in year 7 told me that their was a incident in his class room. The year 7 students where lining up when one student decided to play this gadget and it flew into another students mouth and broke 2 front teeth. Their lys the problem for both families who is responsible for the huge dental bill. The school isn’t taking responsibility.
    As a mum my question is if a child gets hurt with a fidget at school by a student or outside school playing it who is responsible to pay the medical expenses???? So I think they should be totally be banned at school and out of school

    Reply

  • A very timely reminder. I can’t believe how quickly this craze has taken off and every child I know now has one of these. My hubby was only last night showing my son how he could spin it on his nose and forehead. I can imagine the teenagers getting even more creative. I do recognise these as tools for kids with ASD etc. and thought my son would love it for that reason. However, they’ve gone mainstream so quickly I now fear the intended purpose is lost.

    Reply

  • I am currently studying to be an Education Support Assistant (Teacher’s Aid). I knew exactly the type of students and children these fidget “toys” were designed for. They’re not toys at all!
    I hope that schools considering banning them will allow the students in their schools who actually will benefit from these to still have them!
    As for the injury sustained by the boy whose mum is now “warning” others about, in sorry he was injured, but it is NOT a toy and was not made to be thrown in the air. Maybe next time mum will think more before buying a toy that isn’t even a toy.

    Reply

  • Really? if you wrap kids in cotton wool too much they will not be able to breathe. People are too politically correct and ready to blame everyone and anything that causes a normal accident. I’m sorry you child hurt his eye but he could of done the same thing with a coffee cup if he threw that up in the air.

    Reply

  • These are banned from the Primary school my 4 kids go to.

    Reply

  • I agree with many that any toy has the possibility of injury if used incorrectly.
    Thanks for the warning though.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join