Hello!

8 Comments

They’re the hottest gadget this season, but this popular “toy” destroyed a family home in Melbourne after it caught alight.

The hoverboard which was bought as a Christmas present, was charging in one of the bedrooms of the Strathmore home when it ignited, sparking a massive fire just before 7.00pm on Monday night.

Luckily the family of four managed to escape the blaze. Sadly the back of their home was completely damaged by fire and their contents smoke and water damaged.

The incident has served as a timely reminder, with owners of hoverboards advised to monitor the gadget while they’re charging.

Just last month, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission issued a warning, revealing faulty hoverboard designs had caused multiple fires overseas.

A very lucky escape for the family. I am flat refusing to get my kids one. Mean mum or not!

Share your thoughts below.

  • I’d heard about these fires on the news before I even knew about the product themselves. Very glad the family escaped unharmed, but terrible that they have lost their home. We certainly won’t be buying a board for any of our kids. Another mean mum here too.

    Reply

  • This is awful and good to know that the information is now out there about hover boards and hopefully this situation can now be averted.

    Reply

  • I heard about this on the news. very scary

    Reply

  • Multiple fires caused by these overseas, and yet still sold here? As consumers, there is no chance to know! So glad no one was hurt.

    Reply

  • It is great that no lives were lost – but these gadgets are dangerous and warnings were out there before Christmas. It certainly makes Virgin Airlines look exonerated in their stance against ‘Rusty’ Crowe from not allowing his children’s hover boards on their airplane. My grandson has one and he has done damage to himself quite a few times.

    Reply

  • Oh My!! That poor family.

    Reply

  • wow that is great that they go out fine. i don’t have this hoverboard but i definately won’t be getting one either. wow.

    Reply

  • Far out! That poor family :(

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join