The mother of murdered Queensland schoolgirl Tialeigh Palmer is suing the state government and the foster care agency which placed her daughter with the man who murdered her.
Cindy Lee Palmer says she suffered trauma when the 12-year-old was sexually abused by step-brother Trent then killed by Trent’s biological father Rick Thorburn, shares 9 news.
Rick Thorburn is serving life in jail for the murder. Trent served 16 months of a four-year term for incest, perjury and attempting to pervert the course of justice.
Ms Palmer’s case is currently in a pre-court disclosure period during which lawyers are expected to negotiate a financial settlement.
Comments on news reports shared on social media have been flooded with outrage at the mum for daring to sue the system that was trying to help her daughter when she couldn’t.
– “I’m all for the system getting an overhaul but I’m not keen on this mother gaining financially from her daughters death when she’s the reason the poor child went into the foster system.”
– “NO, mumma you do not make money from the death of your daughter…..she wouldn’t have been in that situation if circumstances in her life were different and like it or not you contributed to your daughter being in this situation.”
– “Tialeigh’s mother deserves nothing. She is the reason her daughter ended up there. Sad for the little girl who was let down by everyone from her mother to the foster parents. ”
– ” Sure because the job should have been done properly. But she should have looked after herself and her daughter in the first place.”
– “While the broken system and the people responsible for the bad decisions that were made should be made accountable – the birth mother shouldn’t make money from this shockibg situation.”
– “First & foremost – As her mother/ protector YOU let her down immensely!! Secondly YES the system let her down also. Should you be compensated for this ??!! NO!!”
Does she have the rights to gain financially from this horrible situation?
Share your comments below