- Difficulty Easy
Ditch the heavy ice cream and instead serve this classic Baked Rhubarb and Strawberry Crumble with large helpings of cream, strawberry and rhubarb low-fat yoghurt.
Who doesn’t love a good crumble? It combines all of the sweet warmth of seasonal fruits with the delicious melt-in-your-mouth-ness of crumble. This Baked Rhubarb and Strawberry Crumble is probably better to make in summer, when these ingredients are in season, but you can enjoy a hot, freshly baked crumble any time of year.
Ingredients in this Baked Rhubarb and Strawberry Crumble
For the fruit:
- 1 bunch (500g) rhubarb, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 punnet (250g) strawberries, hulled
- 1/2 cup (120g) caster sugar
- 1 tbsp (20g) butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
For the crumble:
- 1/2 cup (60g) plain flour
- 1 cup (115g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (60g) brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 1/2 tbsp (50g) butter, softened
- 1 cup (270g) Strawberry & Rhubarb Yoghurt
How to make this Baked Rhubarb and Strawberry Crumble
Prep Time: 20 mins, Cooking Time: 40-45 mins
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C and lightly grease a 23cm baking dish. Place the rhubarb and strawberries into the baking dish and sprinkle the caster sugar, butter and vanilla over the top. Toss gently to combine. Place the fruit into the centre of the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the fruit is just tender.
- While the fruit is baking, combine the plain flour, rolled oats and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Rub the softened butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Once the fruit is tender, sprinkle the crumble mixture over the top and return your nearly baked Rhubarb and Strawberry Crumble to the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the crumble is golden and the fruit is bubbling.
- Serve your freshly baked Rhubarb and Strawberry Crumble hot with some Strawberry & Rhubarb Yoghurt.