- Serves 10
- 4 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 5 Ingredients
This Lamington Banana Ice Cream Slab is incredible! Such a cool and Summery dessert!
The humble sponge coated in chocolate icing and rolled in coconut has come a long way hasn’t it? Especially when you see it incorporated into this dessert.
And what could be more Australian than lamington, banana and ice cream all smooshed together to make a massive ice cream slab?
If you’ve never been sure about the history of the this little Aussie gem, here’s a quick recap from “Everything you need to know about lamingtons“:
“… first invented in Queensland, with a recipe appearing in the Queensland Country Life newspaper as early as 1900. According to Queensland Government House, the lamington was created by the chef of the state’s eighth governor, Lord Lamington, to feed unexpected visitors.
Since 2006 it’s even been honoured with its own National Lamington Day, which is 21 July”.
If you’re a lamington fan, here are a few more recipes you might like to try:
This Lamington Ice Cream Slab proudly created and shared with us by Australian Bananas.
Ingredients (serves 10)
- 4 Cavendish Bananas
- 1 litre Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 cups Thick Vanilla Custard
- 6 Jam Filled Lamingtons
- 4 Cavendish or Sugar Bananas, sliced to serve
- Peel bananas, place in a snap lock bag and freeze 4 hours or overnight if time permits. Line a 5cm deep, 18xmx30cm (base) slab pan with baking paper.
- Spoon ice cream into a large bowl, stand at room temperature 10 -20 minutes to soften. Roughly chop the banana into 4cm pieces. Place the frozen bananas into a food processor. Process until finely chopped. Add the custard. Process until smooth. Add to soften ice cream, mix until well combined.
- Roughly chop lamingtons. Stir into the banana ice cream mixture. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top. Press a sheet baking paper onto the surface and freeze, overnight.
- To serve, lift ice cream onto a serving board or platter. Top with sliced banana. Sprinkle with coconut and grated chocolate. Cut into pieces. Serve.
Alternate serving suggestion serve scoops in ice cream cones or slice into pieces and serve between ice cream wafers.