Looking for a delicious Sunday breakfast? Treat yourself to these Blueberry Flapjacks, low in calories and fat with the added benefit of fibre they will make a fabulous start to a lazy Sunday.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 425g can blueberries
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarb soda
- cooking spray
- saved juice from canned blueberries
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- To make batter: Drain blueberries, save juice from can to make sauce.
- In a medium size mixing bowl beat egg whites and sugar for a minute. Add essence and milk and mix.
- Sift flour and bicarb soda into mixture in one go, DO NOT BEAT but gently fold flour through until just combined (overbeating bruises the flour and will make the flapjacks tough). Fold blueberries through the batter gently.
- Coat a non-stick frypan with cooking spray and pour a little less than half a cup (100ml) of mixture into pan, spread batter to make a round shape. Cook 1-2 minutes or until browned, turn and cook another minute or so until cooked. Repeat until all mixture has been used.
- To make sauce: In a small saucepan combine the saved juice and cornflour, stir continuously on medium heat. When boiled pour sauce over each flapjack.