If you’ve never made your own Candied Walnuts (or any type of Candied Nuts for that matter), you don’t know what you are missing! So quick, so easy and so versatile. The perfect way to add a little nutty crunch to loads of dishes.
Ingredients (makes 1.5 cups)
- 1.5 cups Walnut Halves
- 1/2 cup Caster Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- Spread the walnuts onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and toast until light golden brown.
- Get everything ready before you start on the candy step - place the toasted walnuts in a bowl, line a large rimmed baking tray with baking paper and have a slotted spoon and two forks ready.
- Place the sugar in a heavy bottom saucepan on a medium heat. Stir continuously with a wooden spoon as the sugar starts to melt.
- Keep stirring until the sugar is completely melted and becomes the colour of amber. This will take 5 - 10 minutes depending on your stovetop, saucepan and the heat.
- Now it's time to work really quickly! Turn the stove to as low as possible then dump the walnuts into the melted sugar taking care not to splash (it will burn badly), quickly coat them all in the candy then remove with the slotted spoon. Lay on the baking paper and separate each walnut with the two forks (do this as fast as possible otherwise they will all cool in a big clump). Sprinkle with the salt before they cool so the salt sticks.
- Allow to cool completely at room temperature. Then store in an airtight container. Enjoy!